Carvin Legacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Carvin Legacy

There aren't many amps you get power amp distortion at bedroom levels! Maybe something that is 5 watts, hehe..

[ QUOTE ]
    Most tube amps don't sound good until you open them up a bit

[/ QUOTE ]

So then your VHT doesn't sound good till you're killing small animals with it? Hehe... I know what your getting at though as far as output tube distortion. I never rely on that for my tone as different places have different volume requirements, and that is too iffy for the consistancy that I need.

Even with out power amp distortion, they sound better than solid state amps as they have a more natural and less sterile sound to the IMO.

Personally, I prefer to have huge tube amps anyways that don't distort at all and get my sound from the preamps.

MESA 20/20 sure is looking nice. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

There is like a business opportunity here IMO... I asked Pete once if he was interested in making a low-watt rack power amp and he said no. I still think they would really sell judging from the way 20/20s go on ebay... I think the Twister 5/5 would be in the future a benchmark for great bedroom practice and recording sound!... seriously

Comment

LOL Rodrigo, I guess I changed my mind because I built Fritz Reiser (JCF member) one that goes from 3 watts and up, and has a built in power attenuator.

It's a single channel, rackmount, was around $600 or so. Other than a few extra parts and more expensive (bigger) transformers, there's not a lot of difference in building a small amp or a bigger one, unless you're comparing a 3 watt versus a 180 watt one. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But, pricing is seen by a lot of folks to be too much for a low wattage amp, so I pretty much just build stuff as I want and sporadically... it's too much hassle to defend pricing on low wattage amps all the time.

Pete

Comment

Pete,

How much do you think it would be to build a stereo 5 watt rack mount power amp?... seriously.

Comment

I could do it for around $700 - turret board, cloth wiring, vintage construction, power attenuators, etc. I'd have to price all the components to get a final price, but around that is doable.

Pete

Comment

Thanks Pete. I do think that is a nice option and not a bad price for a custom made amp. I am also sure it would sound even better than a 20/20.

Comment

I don't have a problem with them. They sound better with 6L6's than the stock EL34's. It's a great amp unless you like the big midrange cut all the death metal bands like. (I say that only cause I've seen 80's metal bands with modern death guitar sounds) No matter how loud the guitar is, with that sound it's still not heard. The Legacy should cut well.

Comment

The Peavey 50/50 is a nice amp. I owned 2 and both were dependable. I got piggish and upgraded to a VHT 2902 when I started running 2 4X12's live. I don't do that anymore so now my back gets pushed more than the amp. The VHT is a heavy SOB.

I'm thinking of going to the Mesa 20/20 too. I don't need all this wattage anymore or a chiro for the rest of my life. My VHT with kt88's gets a ton more clean,low end and depth than the Peavey el84's. I'm guessing the Mesa, it's an el84 based amp too, will be lacking in clean lows and headroom.

Comment

I have a 60/60 and a 50/50 Peavey. Both are extremely powerfull and darn heavy poweramps.

Comment

I used to have a classic 50 when I was doing a blues gig. It was rock solid and reliable. And, with a tube screamer, it was okay for heavy shredding too.

Comment

Working...
                      X