Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5150 Effects Loop Question

Hey Guys
    I posted this awhile back and never really got an answer as the thread ran off into another topic, so I wanted to try again. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    I am using a 5150 head into an angled 5150 cab. I have a BBE in the effects loop and a EVH Phase 90 on order. The couple of questions I have are is it correct to have the BBE only running on 1 side or is there a way to run both channels, and does it really matter? Next what would be the order of effects? BBE first and then all others after or BBE last after all other effects? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    Help a brother out please [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    Thanks
    Robert

Re: 5150 Effects Loop Question

Giving this a bump.
    Anybody [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

I don't see any problem with running just one channel of the BBE. I would just do that and not try to run both for sure.

It always seemed to me that the best sounding BBE for guitar was the mono 422A.

I'd run the phase 90 into the front of the amp myself. That's basically what the pedal was designed for.

As far as what effect in what order, I say TRY different ways. Generallty, I ran mine first in the chain, and the BBE into everything else. I'll figure that may not always be the best way I'm sure. But seemed to work the best for me.

Comment

What CMZ said.

You didn't mention which BBE you have, but I used to run a 422A in the loop of a BV120 and later a XXX: one channel of the 422A only, because the amps were single channel only.

Is the loop on the 5150 stereo? If not, how would you run both channels of the BBE in the loop anyway? Sorry, it has been a long day, and I don't really understand that part of the question.

I'd start with the Phase 90 before the head and one channel of the BBE in the loop. Tweak to taste. AFAIK you won't hurt the BBE by using one side of it only.

The 422A manual says

"Using Your New BBE 422A
        BBE®is a process to be added before all other mixing of reverb, special effects or equalization in order to increase the clarity and intelligibility of the program material.
        Unlike many aural exciters or equalizers, the BBE 422A does not add any extra noise or harmonics to the sound. Thus, there will be no future problems in duplication or mastering caused by aberrant high frequency distortion. Since the BBE® technology is a single-stage process there is no need for encoding or decoding.
        Always 'A-B' the processed to unprocessed sound with the Process In/Out Switch to adjust the amount of processing required to suit your own musical tastes."

but it won't accept guitar level signals, so you can't put it in front of the amp even if you wanted to: gotta put it in the loop. So I used mine as the first item in the loop, before the MXR EQ and JOHNSON J-Station (effects only) and the Hush.

Hope that helps.

Keith

p.s. Mono 422a? Mine had two mono channels, is that the same thing? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
        The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

Ooops, you're right the 422A is stereo as well.

I was thinking of my BBE Unimax 401, which is mono, and it actually appears to even be usable as a preamp of sorts as it has an input gain knob. I hear Mustaine used one for a while or something like that. It doesn't seem to work as well as the 422 I found.

Comment

Allrighhhht
            That is what I was looking for. Thanks for the help. Cleve I saw your post awhile back about the 422A being the best for guitars. I am running a 482, but I plan on swithcing shortly. I have been looking at the 422A on Ebay and they are pretty cheap. I thought I had it right as the loop is mono and not stereo, but I just wanted to be sure.
            Also appreciate the advice on the phase placement. Can't wait to get it.
            Thanks Guys [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Typically, what I think is best, is just that. It's what "I" think is best. Not to say that is your best, ya know? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I felt the 482s, 362s 8xx's I tried were to fizzy sizzly for my taste and I guess that the old technology of the lesser 422A seemed to work better to my ears with the guitar freqs. The newer models are assuredly more sophisticated and function better for most sound needs, just maybe not guitar possibly.

For what they cost, a 422A is a cheap piece to check out. I don't like them much for most of my needs at this point, but they do seem to have a magic for the 5150s.

Good luck with it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

John (it's John, isn't it?) you aren't only person that I've heard say they prefer the 422a over newer ones, nor are you the only one I've seen say that the 5150 really can open up with one compared to some other amps.

Anyway, welcome Robert, and post updates on how it all sounds to you when the phaser arrives and/or you swap your BBE. (If I were you, I'd just stick with the 482 unless it sounds bad to you. And remember, less is better with those things, and what sounds killer live with a Sonic Maximizer probably won't sound as good on 'tape' or however you record, if you record.)

Past my bedtime. Must... stop... posting... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Keith
                The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

Working...
                X