Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever try a Marshall Artist Head (#3203)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever try a Marshall Artist Head (#3203)?

Found in want adds:
    "Marshall Artist Head (#3203) $500 (before I change my mind)
    1986 vintage head based on the JCM800 series
    30-watt rarity which has been mentioned by Jim Marshall himself as one of
    his "personal favorites" because of it's great distortion at low volumes
    and it's shimmering clean channel."

Comments?
    How's the price look?
    Thanks
    Finn

Re: Ever try a Marshall Artist Head (#3203)?

There is a little 30 watt Artist Combo at my local store, I think I made a thread about it if you want to search for it.

According to my research, they had Solid State preamps, and an EL34 power amp.

I almost bought it, they wanted $500 for it.

It sounded pretty good, it was quiet enough to sound good at low volumes, but still 30 watts of tube power is enough for a club setting.

Comment

I searched but could not find any post.
      Oh, I suck at searching. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
      Any links to your post?
      Finn

Comment

Solid state preamp with tube power section? If so yep, I had one (olive green w/4x10 cab, black & white grillcloth) a few years back. Not a bad amp but kind of a middle-of-the-roader that didn't do either reasonable heavy Marshall tones or that super bright & punchy JCM 800 sound. It was also just a little muddy to my ears but that might have been due to the 4x10 cab. Definitely worth a look but not the holy graille Jim Marshall's comments would lead you to believe. IIRC I picked up the minty head & cab for $300-ish and sold it a few years later (still minty) for $550-ish.

At the time I owned it I was also running an early GSP-2101 into either a mid-80s JCM 800 50W head or an early 70s Marshall Super Bass head w/4x12 JCM 800 cab. Both of those heads were far better than the Artist IMHO.
        Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I owned briefly an older 3202 "Artist" Marshall head A FEW(maybe many-like 10 years ago) .Loaded with Two EL-34s and 1 single 12ax7 preamp driver(for the phase inverter of the power section).It had Reverb and a ton of nic ecrunchy type Marshall gain-maybe even mORE than the JCM 800/900 series and was useable and saisfying in the realm of Marshall being what it was.It came closer to GnR type tones tha any other Marshall i previously owned(GnR being my favorite stock Marshall type tones from a non-modded Marshall besides Zakks Ozzy gig and a few scattered others.)
          Nice amp and it was great for overdriven midrange heavy tones that were reminiscent or Randy Rhoads overdrive characteristics when played LOUD(and believe Me that little pair of EL-34s drove that bitch insanely LOUD [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I'm awaiting pics form the seller.
            standby.

Comment

Theres the thread.

When searching, it searches only from the past week, you have to lengthen the search time\

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...203&Forum=,,,All_Forums,,,&Words=artist&Searchpage=3 &Limit=25&Main=345128&Search=true& where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=1&newerv al=1&newertype=y&olderval=&oldertype=& amp;bodyprev=#Post345203

Comment

That amp model is the only Marshall I've played that I would ever own. I played an RG550 with the stock pickups and through a TubeWorks 4x12, and that Marshall had the BEST clean tones aside from a Roland JC120 that I've ever heard.
                The Gain channel(s?) didn't sound too bad to me, but since it wasn't my amp I didn't wanna do too much tweaking. If that's what a JCM800 was supposed to sound like, they missed it by a mile IMO, as every 800 I've ever tried sucked through a 4x12.

$500? Definitely go see it and spend time with it at that price before committing, but if I had $500 and was looking for another amp head, I'd be looking for one of those.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  That amp model is the only Marshall I've played that I would ever own. I played an RG550 with the stock pickups and through a TubeWorks 4x12, and that Marshall had the BEST clean tones aside from a Roland JC120 that I've ever heard.
                  The Gain channel(s?) didn't sound too bad to me, but since it wasn't my amp I didn't wanna do too much tweaking. If that's what a JCM800 was supposed to sound like, they missed it by a mile IMO, as every 800 I've ever tried sucked through a 4x12.

$500? Definitely go see it and spend time with it at that price before committing, but if I had $500 and was looking for another amp head, I'd be looking for one of those.

[/ QUOTE ]

Newc, you should try out a #2210 if you ever get the chance. Holy crap.

Comment

Working...
                  X