Laney GH50 head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laney GH50 head

Iv just recently got myself into a death metal band and about 6 months ago sold all my tube amps and got a Laney TF700 head (hybrid amp) now I realy like the laney and since I work for a laney dealer I can get em realy cheap. Iv been lookin at the GH50 head cos I like tube tone when Im playing live I like the featurs and checked out harmony central and it look damned cool, I was just wonderin if anyone head has tryed one?

Re: Laney GH50 head

i still own mine. i'm about to sell it, though [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    anyways, let me get one thing straight: i think they are awesome amps.
    but IN MY OPINION, they don't cut it for heavy stuff. tey are pretty much one trick ponys, and that trick is called classic metal. maiden? no prob. saxon? no prob. judas priest? no prob. first metallica record? no prob. thats what I think they do best, and they to it REALLY REALLY good. the lead tone is to die for, too. very dynamic, very cutting, and just singing.
    so much for the good points. my main gripe with the amp is that the amout of usable gain is REALLY limited. not so much for leads, but for rhythm. you can get enough gain for classic metal, but you won't get anywhere near death metal without sounding like harsh fuzzy muddy crap. believe me, i've tried to make it a death metal machine. it doesnt work. maybe with 1k worth of outboard processing.
    furthermore, the clean sound is practically non existant. my model 3 with singlecoils gets a decent clean tone out of it, but any humbucker loaded guitar has too much output, even with the gain turned way down....which reduces the amout of gain for lead playing, remember.
    it reacts nice to overdrive pedals, although not as nice as an old marshall. with the aid of a tubescreamer or a sd1 i got into thrash metal territory, but thats it. it doesn't like the metalzone for some reason, though.
    and last but not least: volume. it is no where nearly as loud as you'd expect a 50w head to be. my 50w mesa kills it in terms of volume. moreover, the master doesn't do much once you hit 5 or 6, except adding poweramp drive.
    i have to admit that it doesn't need the brutal amout of volume for example a mesa can deliver, because it cuts through nicely. you can play in a fairly loud band with the master at around 3, no problem.

the 6l6/el34 switch is a really nice feature, too. maybe i think it's much more suited for classic metal because mine is loaded with el34's, but it had 6l6 in it when i bought it and i thought it sounded very fuzzy. the tubes were sovteks, though....maybe a set of quality 6l6 sounds better.

ask me if you have any other questions

greets
    fragle

Comment

Re: Laney GH50 head

Thanks for the info, I still think Ill ge one (trade price is so damned cheap) Iv got a boss OD pedal and my axe has EMGs... if I dont like it Ill just sell it on ebay and probably make money on it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

What cab did you use with it?

Comment

Working...
      X