anybody try the Marshall MF cabs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anybody try the Marshall MF cabs?

As some of you know I'm getting myself an ENGL Fireball and now the chase is on for the most suitable 4x12 cab....
    I'm going for something with V30's, and I'm pretty sure I want a straight one as I don't like the way highs sound with slanted cabs...not sure if this will hurt my sound a lot on stage though [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    have any of you tried the Marshall MF cabs?

My options so far are (in no particular order..)

ENGL Vintage
    ENGL XXL (? brand new model, don't know much about it yet other than it has V30's)
    Mesa Rectifier
    Marshall MF280
    Randall

the engl and mesa cabs are pretty expensive, all costing $1600 new here.
    I think the marshall is slightly cheaper, and the randall is half of that...

thanks for the input!

- Rune.

Re: anybody try the Marshall MF cabs?

Mode Four cabs sound like poo. I thought they may sound cool, but nope.

Comment

hehe, well that summed it up nice and quick! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      oh I forgot the 1960BV...but I guess I might as well put a little extra cash in and get one of the ENGLs or a Rectifier cab straight away. I'm kinda leaning towards the Mesa, but that new XXL from ENGL is pretty exciting.
      I wish there was a boutique amp superstore somewhere near where I could try all of this stuff [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] in my dreams...

Comment

I'm concidering a new cab as well. got the old mesa with the black shadow's. wonder how much different the engl cab is compared to my mesa, or what I would gain by it... anyone got ideas on this? [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

No question there Mesa Recto cabs, but then again, I haven't used the ENGLs. I'm sure they are outstanding.

Comment

Svart, I read a few harmony central reviews (though you always have to take them with a few grains of salt..) one guy said he preferred the old mesas with black shadows over the newer with V30.
            Also ENGL 412 vintage reviewers seem to prefer it over most other cabs one guy compared it to most brands "bogner,marshall,splawn,boogie,ampeg,avatar,tophat ,vht,orange,and many others.for some reason they just dont stack up to the engl"
            some of the others say that the mesa and engl are pretty equal I guess that's a fair statement.
            I'll probably just go for the straight vintage cab, or maybe the XXL. Derek from rocksolidamps.com said the following about the new XXL:

"The XXL is much much bigger than any of the other 4x12's and handles the low
            end response much nicer as well.The XXL cab also have an awesome mid range
            growl that work's great especially with the SE head."

Comment

You should take the amp to your local music store and try as many cabs as you can.
              I personally would go for Engl cab if cheap.
              If not, how about Mesa Rect?
              I had a Savage 120 with a Rect 4x12 and sounded great!

Comment

the ENGL and Mesa cabs are both $1600 new, and the local music store has only one 4x12 cab, which is a randall.
                he will give me a good deal though as I do guitar set-ups for him.

an hour drive gets me to another music store which has a slightly better selection, including the ENGL vintage (slant) cab...

Comment

I once owned an engl vintage cab, and well, it WAS impressive indeed. loud and punchy, built like a rock, really, and well, it looked pretty mean... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

changed it against a triamp cab, matching my amp, since I was curious, but it really was a great cab. no comparison to the 1960BV I owned before.

I'd try out such an XXL thing, they really must be outstanding, but you can't do anything wrong with the engl. bought mine 2nd hand in almoust perfect condition for 400 euros, and sold it with a few scratches more on it for almoust 700, without feeling like rippin somebody off.
                  great cabs!!
                  tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

hehe thanks micha! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] sounds like you made a great deal.
                    the XXL and vintage are priced the same over at rocksolidamps, hopefully I'll be able to get a good price on it here.
                    the vintage is more than big enough as is but if the XXL gives me better tone, then to hell with it, I'm gettin one! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I think you're making a smart move getting the ENGL cab. I'll be looking forward to your review once you've obtained the complete ENGL rig and put 'er through 'er paces! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I run my Savage with a Marshall 1960BV cab and it sounds great!!!

Comment

I only had a comparison between my mesa and a standard marshall 1960 A cab, compared to my mesa the marshall had more crisp from it's own and I hated them for it...

don't have any experience with vintage30's so hence my question what I would gain by disposing of the mesa and getting the engl.. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

ive never gotten to play through a Mesa cab.. living in montana i have to order everything Then try it out.. wich really blows considering i have to waste a shitload of money, but what i have learned from my blackmore is that it sounds great with a Marshall 1960 B cab, sounds Shitty with Carvin Legacy cab Loaded with Vintage 30's, and Extrememly bad with a 5150 cab.

Comment

Working...
                            X