Is it only the 20/20?...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it only the 20/20?...

Is there any cheaper power amp that can somewhat rival the Mesa 20/20 in his league?...

Re: Is it only the 20/20?...

Sorta depends on what you mean. I find that the 20/20 isn't exactly cheap and there could be more powerful amps that are priced in that area or likely cheaper. Like Carvins and Peaveys 60/60s. But, they won't be that small in size.

As far as the combination of quality, size and tone, it is fairly unique. It's hard to find a one space, well built, nice sounding tube amp. Umm, actually, I don't know of one, haha... So, on those criteria, nothing really compares that I'm aware of.

That said, you can get cheaper more powerful amps, they will just be big.

Comment

The only one-space power amp that Carvin makes is the DCM150, and it's solid state. I've actually got one and think it sounds pretty good, does a nice job with my old crappy DOD floor processor (or even SansAmp Tri-AC pedal) into a 1x12 cab. Carvin actually has one or two new tube power amps now, but they're both for a two-space rack. Prices are relatively inexpensive.
      All their other power amps are solid state and two spaces. They may even have one that's three-space. Search their site for specs. www.carvin.com
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Marshall has an el-84 amp in that power/size, though AFAIK it offers nothing in price, or performance that the mesa doesn't provide. Also, they have a bad reliability rep from what I remember and may also be discontinued. link
        When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

How about an old ADA Microtube 200? It's 1 rack space. I saw one in a guy's rack 2 weeks ago. He was playing quietly and I couldn't get a good idea of his sound.

Years ago I had the ADA Microfet 100. It was 1 rack space. It was underpowered, thin toned, and wimpy.

Comment

Working...
          X