Mesa Studio Preamp - Anyone tried it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Studio Preamp - Anyone tried it?

Hey guys, I have a chance to buy a Mesa studio preamp and I have some questions: I mostly play metal, is this going to sound good? I play stuff like Lamb Of God, and stuff along those lines. How good is the clean? Strong points? Weak points? Thanks for the help. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Re: Mesa Studio Preamp - Anyone tried it?

Great clean, good rock tone, won't have enough for metal in my opinion. I'd say go for a Soldano SP77. The cleans on the Studio preamps are stellar. Plus they have reverb and a 5 band eq!

Pete

Comment

Definitely not so great for emulating "Lamb of God" from what I heard playing it.

Comment

How much do these go for used?

Cleveland, what kind of sounds did you get out of it? I'm asking becouse well...your name says metal, and that's the type of sound I'm looking for.

Comment

I'd agree with what Pete (fancy that) said as he pretty much nailed it. I liked the clean tones as well from it.

I felt it had good "tone", just not what I want in a preamp. Pretty much a good solid rock tone is was I'd say. Foreigner, Bad Company, old priest, Classic rockish to more I suppose more current rock stuff IMO. I don't listen to popular "rock" anymore and so I can't really compare it much newer stuff.

IMO, It's just not heavy enough with enough edge, chug or bite for metal. Not quite a Triaxis or rectifier sound by any means, hehe... Not that I've appreciated them much either, but many people do get great sounds from those units. I just can't. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Hard to find a really heavy preamp for a cheap price. For mopre modern metal, a Triaxis is a "thought" for a fair price (still not cheap). ENGL makes some good and still not cheap stuff. A cheap thing that comes to mind that is heavy would be like a Sansamp PSA-1. Solid state but cool.

What exactly are you running it into?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I'd agree with what Pete (fancy that) said as he pretty much nailed it. I liked the clean tones as well from it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, we can agree on lots of stuff [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

Okay, here's the thing. I know this guy that sells me:

1-2x12 Mesa/Boogie cab
              2-Studio Preamp Mesa/Boggie
              3-ADA Midi preamp w. footwitch (MP-1)
              4-Wireless Nady One
              5-SKB Rack case (4 single)
              6-Anvil Rack case (aprox. 16 single)
              7-MosValve power amplifier
              8-Furman Power conditioner and Light Module

All of that for $700. The only thing is that the studio preamp needs new tubes. What do you guys think?

Comment

I'd say you did nicely.

Comment

Well, I still haven't bought it, but I'm going to try it on the next few days and that will possibly be my new rig. What can I add to use it for metal? Should I sell the studio preamp and buy another one or something? I'm kinda confused, this will be my first rack gear if I buy it.

Comment

Ace, one of our guys here, uses an MP-1 for death metal, maybe that will be useable for you. I never got that heavy of a sound from it, but I didn't play with it that long.

I hate to say it, but for 700, although not as flexible than what you have described, you could find a 5150 halfstack that would probably do what you want. Or is that a hard thing to come by in your area?

Comment

Actually, I just sold my 5150. I'm kinda regreting it. Anyway, a friend is selling me his Marshall JCM900 4100, and there's also another guy that sells me his 5150. I was just curious about that setup that they sell me becouse I'm inexperienced rack-wise. I loved the 5150, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one in the future. How do those Marshall sound?

Comment

80s rock. Not very heavy at all.

Here is a thread on them and the 50 watt one...
                        http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...fpart=1#366766

Comment

Oh, okay. I'm really looking for a good metal tone with a real clean channel. I sold my 5150 for the clean channel, because I didn't like it. If I buy the 5150, I'm going to get it moddified. Thanks for the help guys. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I love my MP-1 but I guess I only really play up to Megadeth and a little bit of Slayer with it: sounds great to these ears though!
                            Popular is not the same as good
                            Rare is not the same as valuable
                            Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              How much do these go for used?

Cleveland, what kind of sounds did you get out of it? I'm asking becouse well...your name says metal, and that's the type of sound I'm looking for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mesa Studio & Quad preamps aren't getting any cheaper. If you can find one in the $300-400 range, that's pretty normal. I played one, and while it was pretty nice, it left me wanting more of...something. If you threw some kind of distortion/overdrive in front of it, it might do somethign for you. The MP-1 is a great preamp BTW...

Comment

Working...
                              X