Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rodrigo is going to ask a stupid question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rodrigo is going to ask a stupid question...

Guys...

So, I am wondering if I can connect a rack to a combo amplifier... would this be a crime?... if the combo is a 2x12, would I get stereo sound?... how can I work with the effects loop?... or would I haver to connect the rack "in front" of my amplifier?...

Re: Rodrigo is going to ask a stupid question...

So, I guess another question is: in amps that have an effects loop will the effects be added clean and then if I distort with the lead channel of the amp I will be using the amps lead channel?... if I add a preamp through the effects loop of the amp, could I use either the amp or preamp distortion?...

Comment

I sorta did what you're asking many many years ago. I had a 5150 2X12 combo and I pretty much used it as a power amp. I ran my effects processor and premap through the amp and it sounded great. Unless your amp has stereo inputs and your preamp has stereo outs you would not be running true stereo (seperate left and rt channels). It would be a mono signal. I would try running it both ways...guitar > preamp/processor > amp, as well as through the loop and see what sounds better....some loops suck.
      RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
      RIP Dime

Comment

I did the same thing as well. However I had a Crate G1500XL head that I used just for power. I ran my ADA MP-2 and Quadraverb through the effects loop.
        Occupy JCF

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I did the same thing as well. However I had a Crate G1500XL head that I used just for power. I ran my ADA MP-2 and Quadraverb through the effects loop.

[/ QUOTE ]

And then what happened?... was it good?...

Comment

Hey Rodrigo, welcome back.
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Iwas just foolig with a guy who was trying to do the same thing.
              I don't think it is a good idea to run a preamp in the fx loop.

The y way we rigged his gear to sound best was done in two different ways.

First he ran hi fx processor in the loop and he turned off the preamp section of it that way he got the amps distortin and vrey good sonding digital fx in the loop. his processor was some kind of digitech, but I don't know the model.

The other way was to hook it up in front of the amp, and he used the premp adn sistortions of the praocesor adn the digital fx, and jus ran that with the clean channel all the tiem. That way his fx were still after the preamp.

Form e personally that is the key, to keep all your fx after the preamp, whether using it from the combo or the processor itself. There are always a few exceptions, but I have always found that when using the all in one proccesor, that running delay adn stuff before th preamp just sounds horrible, especially with the newer digital stuff.
              Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

ive got a fender twin (broken now need help) that i was running a rocktron gainiac into. it has a "power amp in" so i was bypassing the preamp and all of the controls on the twin completely and just using the vol on the pre.

Comment

oh yeah, and it sounded good. added some punch and depth to the preamp.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And then what happened?... was it good?...

[/ QUOTE ]

It was fine. I got a great tone. I kept the Crate head on the clean channel and ran the Quadraverb through the loop on the MP-2.
                    Occupy JCF

Comment

Welcome back bro!! Jack.

Comment

Jack and Racer: Thanks. I am glad to be back. I was away from the forum bacause my life was all **** up for a while. Now it seems I am in better shape and will be getting some gear.

Comment

Working...
                        X