Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boosting a Rivera R100

Guys,

I'd like to be able to get a bit more drive out of my rehersal Rivera R100 Duo Twelve combo....

I tried using a Line 6 Distortion Modeler to generate hi-gain sounds from scratch (total crap!) and also tried using a turbo Rat to drive the pre-amp in the distortion channel but that just fuzzed out and screeched.....any ideas?

Thanks
    Ian
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Re: Boosting a Rivera R100

i use riveras also, an s120 and an m100. i use a clean boost preamp instead of a OD pedal. you could try the DOD preamp 250 or MXR makes a little preamp pedal. i personally use a Boss hyperfuzz set to clean boost. that way it hits the front end a little harder, but doesn't add grit to my clean channel.

i will also plug into the hi gain input (which is confusing because it actually LOWERS the input gain) when i am using the pedal. which input are you plugging into? if you are in the HI input try the LO input (that one actually INCREASES the front end gain - go figure!!).

if you already are in the LO input and need more gain, try one of those pedals.

you could also turn the drive on the Rat pedal down to almost zero and get the volume boost you need from the level control.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I use either an old Fulltone Fulldrive 2, a TC Electronics Line Booster or a modded DS-1. They are all used as clean boosts and all sound great. I have a Chris Duarte model, but they should all work with the R100. I used to have the R30. MD is correct, a good clean boost should do the trick. Experiment with as many as you can because they all sound different, which is why I have 3 on my pedalboard.

Comment

Thanks guys,
        I was using the Hi Gain input so I'll go and play around with the low gain tonight (like you say, that is pretty confusing but I guess it's referring to the signal source)

I that doesn't do it, I'll play around with the Rat some more or look at trying some of those clean boosts that guys mentioned. I figure it's not going to sound like a Dual Rec, but I could do with a bit more than Angus style chunk....
        Cheers
        Ian
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

You know if that doesn't work, contact Rivera. They are very good at offer different opinions on how to obtain the sound you are looking for whether through tube swaps or mods. My Duarte gets a fair amount of gain, as did my R30....way past ACDC. Also, with regards to the low and high inputs on the R30, here is what it says in the manual

High Gain input This is a high-sensitivity input. If your guitar has hot pickups, then plugging into it makes it easy to overdrive the preamp section, creating harmonic distortion. Guitars equipped with low-output pickups seem hotter than usual when plugged into this input.

Low Gain input This is a low-sensitivity input. Guitars plugged into it have more headroom before distortion sets in (meaning that you can crank up a channel's volume a little louder before you experience preamp distortion). This is a good choice for a clean overall sound, and is especially well-suited to active pickups or guitars equipped with preamps.

Do you have the pull boost engaged? Lastly, I don't remember if this works on the R100, but on many Riveras, like mine, if you are not using the effects loop, it can also be used as a boost by adjusting the send and return knobs and then kicking it in.

Comment

that input info from big daddy is the opposite from my riveras!! confusing...try both and see what happens. the rivera will never be like a dual rec or an engle, but it should give you WAY more than ac/dc crunch.

here's from the M/S pro series manual (to clarify the confusion):

Input jacks

The nomenclature on the Input jacks comes from the Rivera TBR series amplifiers, which features PCOMP (Pickup COMPensation). The Combo Input jacks allow the musician either to match his pickup output to the input section of the amplifier for the best clean sound, or to mismatch the pickup output for special effects.

Lo

The Lo jack is a high-sensitivity input that matches low output pickups to the Combo preamplifier for best gain. If high output pickups are used in the Lo jack, it will be much easier to overdrive the preamp for harmonic distortion.

Hi

The Hi jack is a low-sensitivity input that attenuates the instrument signal to increase headroom, which makes it easier to play with less preamp distortion, even with high-output pickups.

so nevermind what i said about jacks. that is only the m/s series, not the R series.
            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I didn't mean to contradict you because I know what you say to be true...that is how mine is as well. I wonder if they changed that recently.

Comment

Working...
              X