question about new amp setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about new amp setup

Hey guys i gotta a question for ya about a new setup im going to be trying out eventually. soon here im going to be purchasing the engl E570 Preamp, problem is i dont have a dedicated Poweramp to match up with this hot momma, so what i was thinking about doing would be too plug it into The return Loop of my 5150 then run that into the 5150 cab. i dont know jack about preamps and seperate Poweramps so if you could fill me in on How i can get this setup to work and really tear shit up.
    5150s sound great with the 5150 cab. so usuing the Power amp section of the 5150 would it sound just as good?...and considering the e570 in front of that...Wouldnt this Be a killer setup? see i dont have a enough money to be forking out For a new ENGL CAB and a VHT POWERAMP.. so this is my cheap short term Solve to the problem.. Working Quality Sound????

Re: question about new amp setup

No one..has done this before?

Comment

i've done something similar, but not using those components. it will work, but i don't know how it would sound.

here's how it works: guitar -> preamp -> to efx return on 5150 -> cab.

you bypass the front of the 5150. all tone and volume comes from the ENGL.

is that what you wanted to know?
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

ya.... pretty much... so are the only conrols on the 5150 that will be functioning be the Post gain,Presence,and Resonance?...i get a little confused on How to control volumes with a preamp and Power amp, preamps have a master volume, but you control the volume with With the post gain of the 5150? does that mean your just supposed to have the preamp master Turned really high, and just control all other volume from the 5150? I know its a stupid question, but i dont know shit about amps.

Comment

well, i don't really know how the 5150 works (loop master controls, etc), but on my rivera it works like this:

the loop has send and return knobs so i can mix the amount of the signal that comes back to the power amp. if i use a preamp into the return, i turn the "return" knob all the way up. none of the other amp controls work except the prescence and focus knobs, the stand by and the power. you wouldn't want to crank the preamp. it would be like putting the 5150 on 10!!

so those controls on your head should still work (probably not the master volume - but i'm not sure of how the 5150 works), but the bulk of everything will come from the preamp.

does that help?
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

ya man that helps.main thing is i just dont want to hurt either of the components. Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X