Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Carvins new amp !!!

[ QUOTE ]
    I would rather have a good multi function footswitch than use a MIDI controller. Jack.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completly agree, and it would be the thing that could stop me from buying the amp, even if I liked the sound.

Comment

The Carvin V3 will be voiced in this fashion:

Channel 1: Clean/JSX Clean
      Channel 2: Marshall Plexi Overdrive
      Channel 3: Diezel Herbert Dirty sound

Great mix, no reverb, damn it neads a footswitch!! Jack.

Comment

That sounds pretty cool!

I wonder what they will cost. Better start saving anyway.

Comment

$800-1000 is what we are being told on the Carvin board. Jack.

Comment

They had this at NAMM. I played a tone navigator with headphones on and it sounded decent through them. They were talking aboutThe V3 but no demo... You could look at it. What the point of that was I have no idea... Looked nice.

I really wish they would have had a tone navigator hooked up to a 4 x 12 too.

Comment

All the reviews I've read of the Tone Navigator say it just doesn't have enough gain. Understandable, since it's Frank Gambale's preamp.

Interesting they're trying to copy a Diezel. I don't know if it's more interesting that they're ripping off a high-end German boutique amp, or that they're TELLING that they're ripping off a high-end German boutique amp. Carvin is usually pretty coy about giving details like that.
              please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

anybody knows how much watts will it have ?

i just started wondering about the thing that herbert has 180 watts and the plexi's were iirc 50/100 watts. - i don't know how much difference will it make to the sound even if they'd fully copy a diezel preamp section.

Comment

it will add a little more clarity at higher volume levels most likely. It is funny. I think most people think double the watts = double the volume. Not true. It would take much more watts than just double. More like 10x it's amount to do that. The lower watt heads have an earlier breakup. I actually prefer it. I run all my 100 watt heads at 50 watts. If I have the choice I always take the 50. They sound better to my ears.

Comment

The V3 will be either 100 or 120, but at least 100 watts. Jack.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      it will add a little more clarity at higher volume levels most likely. It is funny. I think most people think double the watts = double the volume. Not true. It would take much more watts than just double. More like 10x it's amount to do that. The lower watt heads have an earlier breakup. I actually prefer it. I run all my 100 watt heads at 50 watts. If I have the choice I always take the 50. They sound better to my ears.

[/ QUOTE ]

He is correct, sound is actually measured in decibals and not watts, power is measured in watts, meaning ho wmuch power it takes to run! In order for a amp to be twice as loud as a 50 watt amp, you would need a 500 watt amp. The good thing about 50watt amps is the tubes will go into satuation alot quicker! This is good if you are playing music with distortion, however if you mostly play clean then you would want more wattage so you have higher headroom and they stay clean longer.

Comment

yeah , i knew about the issue with volume and that 100w isn't twice loud as 50w - i was talking about the difference in feel/reaction between 180/100 watts - headroom , poweramp tube saturation etc.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          The Carvin V3 will be voiced in this fashion:

Channel 1: Clean/JSX Clean
                          Channel 2: Marshall Plexi Overdrive
                          Channel 3: Diezel Herbert Dirty sound

[/ QUOTE ]

For some reason I highly doubt they're going to accomplish these goals. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I think they have a better chance of nailing the tone from an original '65 Twin Reverb, '68 Super Lead, and a Dumble ODS-100 all from one box for under $1000.

Here's a thought, why don't they try to design an amp that has an original tone of it's own, instead of ripping off the tone/voicings of other amps? The cosmetics are obviously a ripoff of the Mesa Dual Recto & Engl SE. I guess they figured why stop there?

[img]/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

Comment

*****For some reason I highly doubt they're going to accomplish these goals.*****

Why is that?

*****Here's a thought, why don't they try to design an amp that has an original tone of it's own, instead of ripping off the tone/voicings of other amps?*****

They have and do. Every tube amp in their line up at this moment is a original sounding amp and not a rip off of anything.

Comment

Perhaps because their thing has always been to deliver comparable sounds of more popular amps
                              at a lower price? That's been the goal with their guitars as well, more bang for the buck and through mail order.
                              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                [ QUOTE ]
                                I would rather have a good multi function footswitch than use a MIDI controller. Jack.

[/ QUOTE ]I completly agree, and it would be the thing that could stop me from buying the amp, even if I liked the sound.

[/ QUOTE ]I'd imagine it uses the same 4-button footswitch the SX300 uses, they could use the 4th button to switch the loop in and out since there's no reverb. If they haven't designed it to use that footswitch yet I'm sure they will when they get feedback from those who might otherwise buy the amp.
                                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X