Joined the Soldano Club Yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joined the Soldano Club Yesterday

Initial impression: I am stunned! One channel with low and high sensivity inputs, but, man, can you get a range of tones with just the one channel.

Low sensitivity input: A very nice clean all the way to stock JCM 800 territory. All of the controls have a nice range and taper. With gain on 4, I play with the Master Volume on 3 in my basement without bothering anyone at all. Very smooth. I like this range of tones even better than my Top Hat Club Royale's range. Much more Marshall than AC-30.

High Sensitivity Input: By far the nicest, baddest, meanest, most super-saturated modded Marshall JCM-800 tone I have ever heard. Gain at 4-6 is just perfect for me. I just cannot get over how saturated yet articulate the tone. With a Dsus4 barre chord I can hear every note (and buzz and string squeak, etc.)extremely well. That is actually the reason I decided to buy a Soldano. I had heard how unforgiving the amps were and I wanted something to MAKE me improve as a player. I'll either improve dramatically or quit.

I am very surprised at what a great whisper-quiet high gain tone I can get thru the high sensitivity input. At least as good as the Splawn modded 1987x I had. No need at all for a hot plate to get a great tone. You won't get the amp's absolute best tone, but you will get a very very useable high gain tone.

More to follow.....

Re: Joined the Soldano Club Yesterday

Which model is that?

I'm completely satisfied with my JCM800 right now, but I listened to some SLO clips yesterday which made me very interested in one. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Jason

Comment

That is the infamous Avenger.
      Basically, it is a single channel SLO100.

Every guitarist should have the opportunity to play through one. Playing through the SLO is a life changing experience and just confirms how crappy your guitar sound was until you got one.

Comment

Congratulations Fritz...nice score

Jason thats an Avenger
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

Fritz, when I owned the Astroverb I couldn't help but notice how incredibly quiet the amp was at high gain settings too. It must be one of the traits shared by all Soldano's. Congratz on an outstanding amp. You are the lucky JCF'r today.

Comment

somebody here said it kills an bogner uberschall for metal ... well , how is it for metal ? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey great review Fritz. Glad you like it. I'm working an getting a Soldano head also. Debating on the Avenger or an SLO. I've always loved the SLO. So I'm leaning that way at the moment. You said it gets pretty good clean tones. How clean are you talking?
              We must!
              We must!
              We must increase the bust!
              The bigger the better!
              The tighter the sweater!
              The boys are counting on us!

Comment

I thought it killed the Uber for metal. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Go ahead, flame away. At at ampfest filled with bogners (XTC, Shiva, Uber) and a Powerball, I thought the Avenger had a better high gain tone than all of em.

Pete

Comment

If it is anything like the SLO it is the true definition of the work HIGH GAIN.

Comment

The Avenger is the head I will buy when I can actually use a big amp, it's totally awesome!

Comment

I don't think that it will do deaf metal, though. It doesn't have enough harshness. And I don't mean that in a bad way. The Powerbawl could definitely do deaf metal and classic metal. I don't think this one can. But the lead tone on this one blows the Powerbawl away.

Everything about the high gain tone of this amp is big to my ears. Big sustain, big saturation, big notes.

Comment

Working...
                      X