B-52 AV100- Poor man's Boogie Rectifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B-52 AV100- Poor man's Boogie Rectifier

Guys, 2 years ago Doc Dryer and myself had a nice long chat with the folks who make the B-52 junk for Guitar Center.
    They seemed dead-set on improving their image and took notes as we spoke and made suggestions.

At the time, they were preimiering the Stealth model all tube amp head which was a crappy Marshall wannabe at best.
    After firing her up for about 20 minutes or so, the B52 rep asked me for an honest assessment and he got one!

I summed it up in one question to him:
    "Why are you trying to emulate a Marshall when everyone is playing A Boogie?"

The gentleman kindly took notes asked me for my opinions on what to improve upon and we went on our merry way..

2 years later: B52 announces the AV100 Rectifier head which FINALLY,someone figured out to actually use a rectifier tube
    if you're trying to stay competitive in todays' Mesa dominant market.

Folks, I got a chance to fire one of these up at Garbage Center and was BLOWN AWAY! It is the best of both worlds boys.. It can do a Plexi or a Rectifer! for $700!!!

But wait! THere's more! The clean is almost piezo-ish... I never heard anything like it.. And the layout is totally idiot-proof(Unlike those Boogies where you need to take a semester at M.I.T. to figure out how to properly set it up)

I'm telling you there is no better head on the planet in that price range.. All tube and extremely versatile.. Daddy will be proud powner as soon as a I sell off my Boogie Studio 22 and Crate GFX.. You gotta try one out.

I'd like to beleive that Doc and myself had a small hand in this amp's conception and I'm impressed that a virtual unknown manufacturer would actually listen to it's customer base and put up the cash to gamble on a concept..Very Cool... [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Re: B-52 AV100- Poor man\'s Boogie Rectifier

Thanks for the info Chuck. I am actually looking for a Recto-ish sounding amp for half the price. This one is on my list now for sure, and also the new Carvin V3 after I hear it. Hey man, does the B52 have Reverb? Thanks man-Jack.

Comment

B52 does have reverb.

Comment

Please let me know if you plan on selling the Mesa Studio .22, I may be interested depending on the price. Thanks Chuck! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Is there a website for B52? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Yea I need more information who makes these as I am shopping a new amp and thinking hard on Rect.

Comment

wow, thats intresting.

Might have to try one when Im at GC next time.

Comment

I would be curious as to how good the build quality is for $700. Boogie cuts corners here and there but they are a very reliable amp line overall. Having said that, I'll have to check one out once Tulsa gets it's GC this thursday. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I would be curious as to how good the build quality is for $700.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you Pete..That's the only part that is untested and we won't know until the future.
                I can say I've seen alot of younger thrash types playing the other B-52 stuff and it seems to working just fine..
                Let's hope it really isn't to good to be true.

Like I said.. I loved the sound and it's even cool looking with a definate metal look to it..

[ QUOTE ]
                Please let me know if you plan on selling the Mesa Studio .22, I may be interested depending on the price. Thanks Chuck!

[/ QUOTE ]
                Sorry bro, it's already been sold..

Comment

Wow, that was a quick sale! Congrats! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] And no problemo... was just wondering, that was all. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Thanks regardless. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    [ QUOTE ]
                    I would be curious as to how good the build quality is for $700.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you Pete..That's the only part that is untested and we won't know until the future.
                    I can say I've seen alot of younger thrash types playing the other B-52 stuff and it seems to working just fine..
                    Let's hope it really isn't to good to be true.

Like I said.. I loved the sound and it's even cool looking with a definate metal look to it..

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it is possible to build an amp that cheaply... I bet if Peavey wasn't paying off EVH and getting greedy, they could have sold the 5150s for $700ish street, and I liked my 5150 more than my mesa rectos, except for my early reverse chassis one.

Pete

Comment

I sat down and tried one of these for a while about two weeks ago(it's our "rig of the month")-I thought that it sounded ok, not great. It doesn't have that tone that rips your face off like a Dual Rec does, in fact I thought it sounded a little bland. Try them out though, they might be good for some of you guys.

Comment

Interestingly, I just got myself one of these as a Christmas present back in early December. I got the head and the matching cab. It is a great amp for the price and I am very pleased with it. It gets very loud if you need volume. I play mostly at low levels and that is what I like most about it - it sounds great with the volume around 3.

I was looking at both Marshall's and Mesa's, but both are over priced IMO. I could not justify spending that kind of money even though they sound great. I really liked the Recto 50, but it’s twice the cost of the B-52.

The B-52's quality seems top notch. I have not had problems with it. I have not found any poor workmanship or corners cut. Both the head and the cab are pretty solid. Never took it out to gig with yet, so I am not sure how road worthy it might be.

All in all, if you are looking for a nice Mesa like amp but don't want to spend all that money, check out the B-52. It works for me and I am very happy with it.
                        Jackson: DK1
                        Charvel: CS (CSB), SD (RGF), SD (Bullseye), SD '83 (HRF)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Please let me know if you plan on selling the Mesa Studio .22, I may be interested depending on the price. Thanks Chuck! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Is there a website for B52? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

here it is...
                          http://b52stealthseries.com/start.html

i thought it was just me... (novice on amps) but it had unbelievable tone when i tried one at g.c. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                          Guitars... Rhoads RX10D
                          Amp... Pioneer
                          Effects... Boss ME-20

Comment

Working...
                          X