New project... check THIS out! :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New project... check THIS out! :)

Ok, picked up a tube Laney AOR 30 head today. Needs to be retolexed, but check out the gut pic...

Here are the highlights I noticed:

1) all tube sockets are chassis mounted.
    2) Pots are chassis mounted.
    3) There's plenty of room for damn near any turret board I'd want to load.
    4) amp runs a pair of 6V6 tubes in push/pull for rated 30 watts, which is bogus... but I bet it pushes at least 20.
    5) amp also runs *FOUR* 12ax7s, which basically is one for the phase inverter, leaving me FIVE gain stages plus a stage for the eq. YOW.

So... if you haven't guessed it already, I'm scratch building a turret board and slapping in a hot-rodded JCM800 circuit in there. 20 watts is plenty for small clubs, maybe a little loud for home use, but much more manageable than a 50 or 100 watt amp. I'm not using a tube, I'm leaving the socket in for mods later if I need it. Most amps that have that many gain stages sound like buzz bombs, which is what I'm trying to avoid at all costs. But if I want more gain later, it's there.

I'm also planning on putting a bias adjust and check terminals on the back of the amp so it can be set without taking the chassis out. I also have to figure out what to use to retolex it - black or silver treadplate, black or silver carbon fiber, or black or hunter green or red tolex. Hmmm... if this works out well, I may start buying them used and rebuilding them for resell. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Re: New project... check THIS out!

God, I wish i knew how to do that stuff.

Comment

Hmmm, hunter green tolex! [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

sounds great... can't wait to hear you playing through this one. I know you will record us a cool sample [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks slash. I'm hoping to get this done in the next few days, but life and stuff always gets in the way. I already have the amp board designed and the turret board cut, just need to drill the board, mount the turrets, mount the components, strip the amp, install the board and tweak it.

Ok, maybe it won't be in the next few days. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

How about rigging it for true stereo, with one 6V6 on each side, and 2 cascaded 12AT7s for one channel and 2 12AY7s for the other side? That way it's not getting Thrash Gain, but still pushing enough if you wanted it.

Maybe a 12AT/Y7 AND 12AX7 on each side, with channel switching, so you've got a true stereo amp with a clean AND crunch channel on each side? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Newc, you're a madman. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'd have to add transformers, drill more holes, etc... probably the best thing to do in that case would be to use a new chassis.

Here's a pic of the new turret board I built - JCM800 single channel, extra gain stage and a few other goodies. It's a huge pic, but hey, detail is good, right? Notice that it's a little smaller than the Laney board, which has a LOT more stuffed in there.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] You know me, cutting-edge ideas out the wazoo [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I have no idea what any of this sh*t means, but looks and sounds cool!! :P

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

+2 [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Hey Pete, my Randall is the same way. It has the tube sockets, and pots mounted directly to the chassis. I'll take some pics next time I have it out.
                        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you considered replacing the Johnson Rod? From what I understand those things can go on you just like that [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

+3 [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                            Scott
                            Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Nice project. Wanna be my tech when I tour?

Comment

Working...
                              X