Finally got a chance to 'open up' my amp and GFlex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got a chance to 'open up' my amp and GFlex

Had the house to myself tonight, and finally got to open up my amp (XXX) with its new cab: a Genz Benz that arrived seven days ago from Tetsuo.

My hands were bothering me today (the weather? the two hours I spent this morning boxing up my 5150 for SeventhSon, when I would have sworn that I was nearly finished boxing it already?) so I knew it was going to be nothing but sloppy: so instead of finesse, I opted for the SG and its 'big' 10s.

After about a 1/2 hour of warming up, the sun finally went down and I started to feel like getting some real volume. So I started working the master up, playing another 15 minutes or so, then working it up some more.

Finally, I really felt like I had the top down: amp and cab were really breathing, window and door glass was rattling, and I was at the edge of my ears' unprotected comfort level. And bad hands be damned, the stuff was coming out of me, you know?

When I was done, I went through my normal shut down routine and went to get something to eat. Later, I thought, "hey, I never saw how high I turned up the amp" so I went to turn on the light and check.

What would I find? Five? Probably, I thought. Six? Maybe. Seven or Eight? I really didn't think so, but who knows?

The last time that I really let loose with it was in a much smaller room through the 5150 4X12, and by five (1/2 way) I a) needed hearing protection, and b) needed to pick my modest yet serviceable penis up off the floor and go to the ER to have it reattached.

So, what did I find tonight?

Three and 1/2. Four, maybe, depending on the angle you looked at the knob. But a solid 3 1/2.

[img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
    The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Re: Finally got a chance to \'open up\' my amp and GFlex

I had my Marshall #2210 on 8 a few days ago through my 4 x 12 cabinet. It was pretty loud. Stuff was rattling off of the walls.

Comment

Re: Finally got a chance to \'open up\' my amp and GFlex

Axe; I have a xxx too and was wondering what was your channel volume on? I assume 3 1/2 was you master. I have been thinking of the G-Flex too.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Re: Finally got a chance to \'open up\' my amp and G

Yes, I meant the master was 3 1/2... sorry about that. I have both the crunch and ultra volumes betweon 7 and 8.

I'm happy with the G-flex so far, but so far isn't much: this really was the first time that I could turn it up and hear it. At lower levels, with all other settings unchanged from the prior cab (a straight 5150), the Benz is muddier IMO - less presence, less definition. But obviously that is without tweaking the amp to the cab. And I know this combination isn't meant to be a bedroom level rig.

At tonights levels, I didn't notice the muddyness. the Gflex has as much or more punch as the 5150, which is great to me because I likes my chunka chunka.

And the clean (though who thinks clean when talking about the xxx, except maybe me?) is seriously better with the Flex. In fact, tonight I heard the clean tone I always wanted to hear, but never had. (Not on the SG, though, but on a strat copy's Quarter Pound in the neck position.)

Comment

I've got a XXX myself, and it generally stays with the channel volumes at 7 (clean), 9 (crunch, used for lead) and 7 (ultra, used for rhythm). We are a five-piece with a really heavy handed drummer, and I play through a Marshall 1960AV. I still don't see master volumes past five, because it is a loud amp. In comparison, our other guitarist was setting his B-52 tube series, through a 5150 straight 4x12, at 9!

You don't even know what it sounds like until the power tubes start kicking in around 4. I had it up to eight once, and my drummer just completely disappeared from the mix.

Comment

Thanx Axe! The 5150 and the G-Flex are two cabs (along with the xxx cab)I was looking into.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Trust me the Genz likes a beating... I would agree Keith that at lower levels it can be Muddy... but bring it up a little and you get great bass push and good high end serperation... Loud cab for a 2-12 aye? And I have had 2-12 Mesa Vertical cabs which are loud [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
              I keep the bible in a pool of blood
              So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Yessir, it is a loud cab. And a damn fine sounding one, at that.

Dave, seems more than a few guys at the peavey forums like 5150 cabs with the xxx. Fewer seem to like the xxx cab. I always wanted to give the xxx cab a try, but haven't.

Noodles, I'll bet that Marshall cab kicks butt with it, too.

Brad has a xxx also, but (Brad, where are you?) I can't remember now what cab he uses. Oh, I bet I know where he is - he finally got his new recording gear up and running. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I really really wanted to try a Mesa vert 2x12, but like most (all?) things Mesa, there is a premium attached to the gear. Not saying it isn't worth it, don't really have an opinion either way, but Tetsuo was generous enough with the sale of his G Flex that I couldn't pass it up.

Besides, I always thought the G-Flex looks kick ass, and the way that I play, looks count - 'cause the talent sounds like ass. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Oh, and it's a Lynch sig, and I like George.

Dave, what cab are you using now? Keep us posted on what route you take...

Comment

I have had 3 2-12 Mesa cabs... The Vertical black shadow metal grill (best) the vertical recto (2nd) horizontal Recto. I think the Genz is better than any of them... IMVHO

Comment

What heads, Tetsuo? Just curious. Glad to hear it!

Comment

Brad is out of town at the moment. But, he has a XXX head and the XXX slanted cab.

I've heard it on 3 it was all I could stand in that room. It's not hurting for power nor sound.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Glad his proxy could show up! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] One of these days I'm going to get over to his place and hear it myself... prolly in the summer though. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah, he is a better one to describe it than me. He has quite an array of instruments that he can play thru it and gets a variety of sounds.

Just keep us in the loop on the visit.

Comment

I had an old style Mesa 2x12 vertical with the metal grate, half back, open w/ a celestion and an EV... farted out with my 7 string, no matter how much I dropped the bass in the EQ (when I used a MK IV). Switched to the Benx G-Flex 2x12 with an ENGL Savage 120, and I cannot get it to fart out even if I try!! The only drawback to them (at volume) is that the voice coils in the 12" speakers seems a little ... I dunno, - "Brittle" ?? - to me - too tinny and high, without much "voice" to them... I have to EQ the amp differently than if I play through a 4X12 with Celestions - they are warmer, but do not have the "THUMP" that the Benz has when I go to muted chunky riffs on the low B at volume
                            I do notice a slight tone difference in the old (squared off) G-flex vs the new (angled handles) cab
                            Also curious if anyone here has tried the G-Flex 4x12? I heard them on the tour where Fates Warning played with Queensryche and Dream Theater, and i was pretty impressed with the tones...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              What heads, Tetsuo? Just curious. Glad to hear it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Mesa Recto
                              Zinky Mofo
                              Marshall 6100LM
                              Marshall Jubilee
                              Flextone 2
                              Vetta
                              Bogner Triple giant with VHT 2150
                              etc....

Comment