Amp tone question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp tone question

Not the best title but it works. I read this forum regularly, and specifically to this forum I have a question.

I always see people talking about their amps, Marshall, ENGL, Mesa, Soldano, etc. and how great they are for getting the tone they want and it always seems like people are solely using just the amp to get the tone they want, and not using pedals at all for distortion or OD.

Are people get the perfect tone they want from just the amp? Or are they not explaining their set up so thoroughly to include pedals that they use? Because it seems to me that people just adjust their amp settings and away they go with their tone. To me that seems... boring, because everyone would sound similar.

Please correct me if I'm wrong and explain so I have a better understanding of how people are getting their ideal amp tone.

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Re: Amp tone question

i plug straight into my amp. no up front effects and only delay/chorus in the loop for solos. all my tone comes straight from the amp and the speakers i use.

i don't think it's boring. it just happens to be what i want to hear. i like to plug into the amp and get my sound because it's easier than hooking up X number of pedals.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

The majority of amp reviews here are basically the guitar plugged into the amp with no outboard preamps or distortion boxes. When you here a guy (like me) mention that my Marshall #2210 or my Carvin MTS kills, I am plugging straight into the amp and using the amps gain only.

Comment

Sraight into my Amp always... that is me personally. I have a GMajor in the loop but rarely use it. I think with Metal tone espescially not many good stomps out there that wouldn't just muddy your sound up(ie MEtal Zone). Now with Blues... Tone of great boost pedals into a clean fender way different story
        I keep the bible in a pool of blood
        So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

My tone is straight up tubes with no color from pedals in front of my preamp, no additional eq's, no BBE, not even a wah. I use a TC G-major for wetness in the loop and that's it.
          My friends always rave about my tone and value my opinion when they go amp shopping. Everytime I help them pick something, next time I see them live they have a buttload of pedals in front of the amp. I shouldn't even bother anymore.

Comment

I can only speak for myself but I looked for a simpler set-up whereby I can get what I want out of an amp by going straight in with no effects. There is no tone loss by running through various pedals or devices. Simpler the better in most cases. Usually if people are using a pedal they'll state that they are using a pedal in front of it.

I don't think its boring in the least on the same token I don't have a problem running through a pedal if I need to, just don't have the need very much anymore [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

I think if you have to use pedals to get the right tone from your amp, you need to think about getting a new amp. Don't get me wrong, I use pedals, but only a wah, noisegate, boost, and sometimes delay, none of which affect my tone significantly.
              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Yes, when you're talking about the amps you mentioned, they are quite expensive and quite flexible. They're very capable of much tone sculpting within themselves, easy to get your own tone with them without any pedals.

When I had cheap amps, I had lotsa pedals. When I got into the pro grade ones, that need diminished greatly.

Comment

i play completely dry. no fx, equalizers, sonic maximizers, whatever. for rhythm it's guitar->amp, for clean stuff it's also like that, but i'll give it a little reverb for added depth..the amps own reverb, no stompbox. for leads i'm either using another channel or the rhythm channel with a tubescreamer on top.

so for me it depends on the amp i'm using, but most of the time it's either guitar->amp or guitar->tubescreamer->amp

IMHO a guitar sound is formed by an amp, pedals just add a little extra fuzz on top of that - if necessary

greets
                  fragle

Comment

Leads sucks ass whitout any reverb or delay. Personally I don't like dry sound so I add little reverb or delay for rhythm sound too.
                    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

If you’re interested in creating your "own" tone then I would agree you need to experiment.

Heres an interesting look at Satriani's Stage Gear - I think youd agree he has his own tone.

You could look at other setups as well for examples / e.johnson, s.vai, j.hendrix, y.j.malmsteen, e.v.halen, s.r.vaughan - research them - then investigate for yourself the many possibilities available to you. Of course this totally depends on the type of music you are playing [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I disagree that everyone plugging straight into their amps makes us sound the same. Everyone sounds different. If I had five guys pick up my guitar plugged into my rig and play one right after another, they would all sound different. Also there are so many other factors that affect sound, the guitar you play, the speakers you use, the room your in, your amp settings, that I never really worry about sounding like someone else. I sound like me, and no one else, and I dial in the best sound to suit what I am doing.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I think if you have to use pedals to get the right tone from your amp, you need to think about getting a new amp. Don't get me wrong, I use pedals, but only a wah, noisegate, boost, and sometimes delay, none of which affect my tone significantly.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty much my situation and why I'm asking, my Marshall MG30DFX just won't be cutting it for live playing and I'm gathering as much information possible before I go out and do a serious amp purchase (I will defintely bring along my equipment before the final purchase). I am biased towards getting a Marshall 59 SLP Reissue or JCM 800, but now after reading so much I'd like to look at other options like Mesa, Soldano, Bogner, ENGL and some other stuff, but I also have a moderate budget for a head/cab and probably couldn't afford the boutique amps.

Anyway, I'll continue my trolling in search of info, hope no one got all pissy over my earlier comment. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Well, I use a rackmount stereo compressor and stereo eq in front of my XXX, but that is because I play in both drop-D and drop-B tunings. I use those two rack pieces to ensure that both tunings will sound their best by the time they hit the amp. To me, you just can't compromise by setting the amp tone controls between the two of them.

Comment

Working...
                            X