Questions about water-soaked pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about water-soaked pedals

Hey bros, I had a water pipe break in my house yesterday morning and the basement was flooded. Luckily, my amp and all my guitars didn't get a drop on them but my pedals got soaked! They were right under a part of the ceiling where the water was coming down. So they weren't just getting a little water coming up from the carpet, the water was pouring right onto them. I grabbed them, held them upside down to drain, wiped 'em off, pulled the batteries, and let them dry. I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to set my stuff back up and test everything but I'm wondering:
    1) Is there any chance they're ok?
    2) Should I even take the chance hooking them up? i.e. could i damage my guitar and/or amp?
    3) Should I just hook them up and go for it? (I'm assuming I should try one pedal at a time)
    Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Re: Questions about water-soaked pedals

they might be fine if there was no power to them when they got wet.

if they are dried out well, go for it and try. The only thing that will happen if they are hosed is they wont work [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

I'd open the backs or whatever on them all immediately, and allow air inside for them to dry. If you have some access to compressed air, like for you garage, spray the crap out of them to dislodge any water you can, even bottled air is better then none.

"I'd" probably get some Tuner cleaner with silicone lubricant and blow a tad in any pot or open switch you can and work them a little.

Then, set them near your heater ducts and let the dry heat hit them awhile.

If it was reasonably clean, freshwater, they will dry out and likely be just fine. Let them go a day or so after doing the above mentioned to dry them out and then try them out!

Comment

What John said.

Got no compressed air or canned air (like for 'dusting' out computers and stuff) handy, then use a hair dryer or heat gun (easy with the heat gun... don't want them to fry or melt).

But to have the best chance, you've got to open them up as best you can as soon as you can and get them dry.

Hope they make it. Give us updates.

Keith
        The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

Hehe, some of this stuff, you even have to be careful with the hair dryer! I spilled coffee on my nice Focus keyboard. so I rinsed it a bit, then blew it with compressed air, and used the hair dryer a minute to get it dry. Got bored after a bit, and looked away for a second, upon looking back, THE KEYS WERE MELTING! OOPS! Hehe...

Comment

That sucks when the cure is worse than the problem.

I'm usually doing stuff like dropping remote controls in the cat's water dish (or the sink, once), or the Palm Pilot in the toilet (didn't want to be reminded of another SHITTY meeting anyway). But my son, who turns 3 this weekend and has ALWAYS been more careful with my stuff than my wife, even, spilled some milk on my J-Station one time. That was harder to clean, but it all worked out okay.

In fact, all of these things I've mentioned still work.
            The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

One thing to remember about getting electronics wet is that as long as it's 'clean' water, you're ok as long as the item wasn't on. Dry it out as best you can, and don't turn it on until you KNOW that it's dry. Salt water and pop are really bad for electronics. If you spill something like that, then quickly take the item apart and clean it - don't wait. I had a guy bring a laptop into the shop I manage for a pop spill. He waited two weeks to bring it in because he couldn't afford a repair right then... after two weeks of 'percolating' on the board, not only did it grow mold in spots, but it damaged the circuit board, and he was screwed.

Pete

Comment

Thanks guys. It was water from a broken pipe, so it should be "clean" water. I opened the pedals that are able to open, pulled the batteries, wiped them off, and let them dry. I wish I had canned air because that's one thing we do with laptops at work when people spill stuff on them. I probably won't get a chance to try them until this weekend, so they should be good and dry by then. I didn't think of using a hair dryer (I used it to dry my Vai tab book but didn't think of using it for the pedals - duh!). Well, we'll see what happens.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Hey bros, I had a water pipe break in my house yesterday morning and the basement was flooded.

[/ QUOTE ]
                  Man, that's gotta be one huge bong to do that much damage. Dumb pun I know, but some friends and I were at a head/tobacco shop and one of us was about to buy a nice cigar lighter, and the funny guy workin there kept talking about how "it work upside down bro, for-de-water-pipe" in his thick accent. Funny stuff.

Comment

Well I was finally able to test them out yesterday. I tested my Korg AX1500G first, then the Digitech Whammy, the MXR Phase 90, and then my Boss chorus and flanger. They all worked!! I'm very happy. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Glad to hear they survived the Great Flood! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Exactly, Tuner Cleaner when they are dried out...Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
                        X