SGX2000 Express review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SGX2000 Express review

I just got one from Soloist1. It arrived in flawless mint brand new condition with an X-12 midi foot controller. Here is my set up and review:
    Peavey Sixty/Sixty power amp
    ART SGX2000 Express
    I run it in true stereo through a 4 x 12 stage right and a 2 x 12 stage left.
    It has 2 effects loops. In one I have my Twisteramps preamp pedal for solo boost.
    That Art SGX has the ability to stack 3 different preamp sources. Analog, digital and tube. The tones that this preamp dishes out are immediately recognizable because the majority of recording studios in the mid to late 90's used them. It sounds HUGE with my Peavey 60/60 which is a monster by itself. There are a ton of great patches. Most notable are the Satch, Lukather and Eric Johnson patches. They are pretty much 100% accurate and you get 2-3 for each player. It is a very tweakable box with all kinds of EQ's and countour controls. There are some unique features too such as variable crunch, warmth, tube to digital mix controls, the ability to assign different preamps left or right and vary the level of them, a real time sampler, and more ins, outs, loops, DI's on the back then most anything I have ever had. The headphone out sounds really good. It has that "digital" flavor to it but it is also very organic sounding. It sounds late 80's early to mid 90's. Considering that the SGX2000 Express with an X-12 or an X-15 sold for over $1000.00 new and you can pick one up for around $200-$250 today I think it is a great useful piece to own. It's not a modeler. It is a real preamp. Another great feature is the ability to use it as an effects processor only for guitar, drums, bass or vocals. I love effects loops and this one has 2 switchable independent loops. I have demo'd the Frank Gambale TN100 from Carvin and I have to admit the SGX2000 isn't too far off. Actually, the SGX has more features that are useful in the studio which is what I got it for.
    I will post some clips tonight or tomorrow and you guys can be the judge.

Re: SGX2000 Express review

Glad it arrived alive and you like what you got John. How did you like that packing job? It survived UPS so I must have done a good job. lol You'll be spending hours with that thing. It's a great unit.
    We must!
    We must!
    We must increase the bust!
    The bigger the better!
    The tighter the sweater!
    The boys are counting on us!

Comment

I spent as much time unpacking it as I did playing with it. Outstanding pack job.I assume I need to pick up a standard midi cable to hook up the footcontroller right? Also, I noticed that the presets in the A "classic" bank don't match the list of presets that are in the SGX2000 Express literature nor do they match the presets in the SGX2000 lit. Banks B,C and D match.
      I really like Bank D which is basically studio effects only. It will be very useful with my Marshall and my Carvin tube amps. I think the Peavey 60/60 all tube stereo power amp really wakes up the SGX. Thanks Chris! John G

Comment

Yup a standard MIDI cable for that. Yeah I don't know what is up with the A bank. But that's the way it is default. Even if you do a factory reset that's the way it stays. I think they may have changed that with the firmware version. When I bought it I noticed it had the 1.11. According to most of the web sites I looked at 1.10 was supposedly the latest version. I called ART and they said that 1.11 is definitely the latest. They said they changed a few things that reduced noise. Maybe they meant they changed some of the patches.
        We must!
        We must!
        The bigger the better!
        The tighter the sweater!

Comment

Interesting I couldn't get rid of mine fast enough... I really didn't like it one bit...
          I keep the bible in a pool of blood
          So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

I have a SGX 2000 Express. I learned that the last version they made is the only good sounding one. The chip was available to upgrade older models, so you can't judge a book by its cover. I bought a unit brand new in 1996, it was the last version with the basic looking face graphics and it sounds great. It is the only piece of equipment i have had this long and I never plan on selling it. I bought three other, older models to use as backups and none sounded anything like my main one. I am not talking about minor tone differences, it was a major change between them. A friend who likes mine bought an older one upgraded with the same chip in mine and it sounds just as good as my unit.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Interesting I couldn't get rid of mine fast enough... I really didn't like it one bit...

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets face it, current processing and modeling is light years ahead of the SGX2000 but for what it is and for when it came out it is an impressive box. I wanted one bad when they first came out but $1000+ was more than I could ever imagine spending. The only guys that had them at the time were recording studios and I used them a few times with nice results back in the mid to late 90's. For the price I got it for it was a no-brainer. I know it ain't the end all in processors but it is a pretty powerful preamp/processor.

Comment

i think when i bought mine and the X-15 together in 93 it was like 750
                it still does some cool stuff, for what it is. mine is only ver. 1.05 though. can you still get chips?
                "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I have a SGX 2000 Express. I learned that the last version they made is the only good sounding one. The chip was available to upgrade older models, so you can't judge a book by its cover. I bought a unit brand new in 1996, it was the last version with the basic looking face graphics and it sounds great. It is the only piece of equipment i have had this long and I never plan on selling it. I bought three other, older models to use as backups and none sounded anything like my main one. I am not talking about minor tone differences, it was a major change between them. A friend who likes mine bought an older one upgraded with the same chip in mine and it sounds just as good as my unit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jim you have mine [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I was trying to think who I sold it too...
                  I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                  So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

They might have chips still. They had them when I called them. That was 5 years ago though. They wanted 100 bucks back then. Give them a call. By now they may be giving them away.

ART 585.436.2720
                    We must!
                    We must!
                    The bigger the better!
                    The tighter the sweater!

Comment

I think I paid $600 for mine about 10 yrs ago. I loved it then but dont use it anymore since I have a pod and VAmp Pro.

Comment

Mine is an original with the latest upgraded chip. Like I said, I will post some clips and the JCF bro's can be the judge.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jim you have mine [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I was trying to think who I sold it too...

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, I sold it a few weeks later. Sounded horrible...lol.

Comment

A.R.T. Left out the F. in their name...SHITE!

Comment

ART made some good guitar processors but never
                              got the market share of Digitech or Rocktron.
                              I really dig my little Xtreme pedal though it is very basic compared to today's stuff.
                              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X