Should I add tube power to Pod XT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I add tube power to Pod XT?

I want to upgrade my rig to get "huge" guitar sounds a la EVH & Zakk Wylde. I play in my basement for my own amusement, so I don't need/want high volume.

Here's my current rig:

GUITARS: Soloist (w/EMGs) or Jem (w/DiMarzios)
    PREAMP/EFFECTS: Pod XT
    POWER AMP: Marshall Valvestate 8008
    SPEAKERS: Marshall 1960A 4x12 (75 watt speakers)

I'm considering replacing my solid state power amp with a Mesa 20/20, as I'm told tube power will bring out lots of nuances, dynamics, and dimension in my playing, and this Mesa has lower wattage and can be had for about $400 used. (Of course, then I'll have to worry about tube maintenance, of which I have been blissfully ignorant to date. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Oddly enough, in over 20 years of playing guitar, I have NEVER owned a tube amp, or even played through one, other than quick try-outs at music stores.)

So, I have a few questions:

1. Would switching to tube power make a BIG difference in my sound, or is it something subtle? (I'd hate to get it only to discover I can't hear the difference).

2. Would I be better off to move to an all-inclusive system, like an HD 147, Vetta or Vox VTX, or maybe get an actual, low-watt tube head, like a UniValve or something?

3. Is there something else I should consider that would have a bigger impact (e.g., BBE, speaker swap, etc.)? I should note that I did try a Behringer Ultrafex Pro for awhile, which is like a BBE, but I eventually got tired of it and took it back out of the rack.

I like the sounds and convenience of my Pod, though I don't really use its flexibility, as I really only need/want about 3 sounds: 1. acoustic/clean; 2. VH "brown" sound; and 3. Zakk/Pantera crushing metal sound.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Re: Should I add tube power to Pod XT?

Well, it will warm your sound up a bit. I, for one, REALLY dig a modeling pre through a tube amp. The other guitarist in my band uses a Line 6 PodXTLive through a 1979/80 Carvin VX100 tube amp, and it sounds killer.
    Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

IMHO using a modelling multi-effects package through a tube amp is an ideal set-up. I run a Boss GT-3 through the clean channel of a Carvin Bel Air. I agree that tube amps have a more natural and "bigger" tone. But I love the flexibility, diversity, and simplicity of an all-in-one unit for distortion and effects. Other than the GT-3, the only other things I use are a graphic EQ and noise suppressor, both run through the amp's effects loop.

Comment

it will warm up your sound, however if you are gonna buy a power amp go with the mesa 50/50 as the 20/20 will not give you any low end. I own both and i am selling my 20/20 because it just doesnt have the low end, very good mids and hights though. The older boogie 50/50's are going for about $450 on ebay these days, the new ones are about $550 to $700 used on ebay, the advantage of the newer 50/50's is you have the option to use either el34's or 6L6's. The good thing about the boogie power amps is tube maintance is easy, you buy 4 tubes plug them in and you are done, no biasing. ALso with any of the boogie amps if you only want to use one channel you set the volume all the way down and the presence all the way up on the channel you are not using and you do not need a speaker load. Anyway the sound would improve over all, but depends on the sound you are going for

Comment

Thanks for the great advice!

Comment

Siggy... how much for the 20/20????....

Comment

if he is just playin in his basement and not really crankin up the volume is a tube power amp really going to make that much of a difference. im just askin i dont have any pod experience

Comment

i'm currently using the XT LIVE through the power section of my boogie .50 cal and am loving it.

highly recommended.
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I was not impressed when I ran my PodXT through my old Peavey 50/50 and ada 2x12 wil Vintage 30's. My Voodu Valve though, sounded killer.

The thing I never link was that it alwasy sounded like I was going direct whent he speaker sims were off and muddy with them on. The Voodu did not have that probem.

Are you currently running your rig in stereo? That sounds really good at home. Make sure you are getting some good seperation between cabs, throw on some stereo chorus and crank it!
                  "Yes,..that's when they used to shove a red hot spike in your peehole until you screamed "yes, yes, godammit ..you fuggin' dicks..I'm a witch..I am witch..you cocksuckers"" horns666

Comment

I am using an Art SGX2000 through a Peavey Sixty/Sixty tube power amp with 2 cabinets in stereo and it sounds 100 times better than using a SS amp.

Comment

i'm running mine in mono.

what i like about the xt live is that even though the air II function is turned off for live use, the cab sim is still availible and just slightly revioces the signal to sound better with the type of cab you are actually using. works quit well. also does the same thing where you tell it weither your running it through the front or pwr section only and if its a "combo" or "stack" (meaning open or closed back cabs) then it sets itself up to sound best in those situations.

granted - it doesn't sound like a cranked tube amp. but it does sound really good, and is way more versitile, + all the effects i could ever want or use, and playing out in situations where you don't bring your own amps (al la festivals) - its the perfect solution to keeping the same tone show after show all with different back lines.

and the firmware update totally made it sound better.

~JW
                      Widow - "We have songs"

Comment

No dount... I would change to a tube Power amp in a heartbeat but no 20/20 go for a VHT 2150!!!! Actually best value is if you can find an Old Carvin T-100 Power amp
                        I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                        So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Are you currently running your rig in stereo? That sounds really good at home. Make sure you are getting some good seperation between cabs, throw on some stereo chorus and crank it!

[/ QUOTE ]

I am running in stereo (L and R outs from Pod XT into both inputs of stereo Marshall 8008 Valvestate power amp, then into both jacks of one Marshall 1960A cab, switched for stereo operation), but with only through one cab, there isn't much stereo separation. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I can see where another cab, spaced apart from my first one, would increase stereo separation and help enhance the "huge-osity" [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] of the sound, especially with effects like chorus.

Actually, running my Pod XT through my Klipsch 2.1 computer speaker setup sounds pretty good, with much better stereo separation, but it has a less "natural" (for lack of a better term) feel, with the subwoofer, and the lows from the sub seem to really travel through the house.

Maybe I should invest in another cab instead of a tube power amp? I never would've thought of that, with my relatively low volume needs, but the separation would be nice. I'm not looking so much for warmth (though it wouldn't hurt), but increased touch sensitivity, dynamics and dimension would be nice. Now that I'm thinking out loud, maybe I should get an actual BBE. Isn't that exactly what those are supposed to do? (Maybe my Behringer wasn't as good as the real thing).

Comment

quicksilver, i know the stereo sounds good and all, but if you play with another guitarist, the clubs is usually only gone to mike 1 speaker in 1 cab of each of you.

now i guess each of you could have a cab on both side of the drum kit, but you're only going to get that true steroe effect on stage. the audience won't get any of it except for the 1st 2 rows or so. (and they never get to hear the vocals too good)

a tube power amp would be great. really makes it come alive. but hey, do what sounds best to you by all means. i'm not a big valvestate fan, so i'm biassed on this matter. and i prefer running the XTL in pwr stack output mode. and runing it to my FX return (bypassing the tone controls of the amp, except for the volume and presence.
                            Widow - "We have songs"

Comment

Hey there. Has anyone told you to check out Atomic Amps yet? They make a tube power amp/speaker combo. You drop the POD right into a little groove into the top and your ready to go. URL is www.atomicamps.com.

Comment

Working...
                              X