Best Multieffect Pedal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Multieffect Pedal?

The new Line 6 PodXT Live looks pretty sweet. So what's best?

PodXT Live
    Digitech series
    Boss GT series

I've never cared for DOD stuff in the past, but maybe the digitech is better...

Re: Best Multieffect Pedal?

Boss GT-8

Comment

you should try out all of them and make your own decision.

i personnaly have never been a fan of the goss gt stuff. but a lot of people i know use them and a tone of metal bands use them.

i prefer the pod.
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Bleck all I can say is Friedman sucked through the GT-8 @ NAMM and he had an awesome PA setup and it was not his playing...
        I keep the bible in a pool of blood
        So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

The Boss GT series require you to really sit down and fine-tweak the controls to get a great sound. I doubt Marty had time to explore his GT-8 beofre performing at NAMM. Hell, I even took GT-6 lessons with my guitar teacher in place of my regular guitar lessons just to learn more about the damn thing because my teacher spent more time playing around with it than I did.

The preset patches on the GT series blow the testicles of a large orangutan big time, so that's why you gotta sit down and tweak and find your voice in it. It's definitely not a plug and play sort of processor like the Line 6 stuff is, I hear, which really sucks because I think it turns potential customers away from it when they demo them in the store.

Hell, I took a serious gamble with mine over two years ago. I tried the preset patches in the GT-6 and didn't find them all that great, but I told myself that I would spend time really learning it, so I bought it that day. It's paid off and I am quite comfortable with it, and the flexibility of it helps me be a little more creative on the guitar.

Comment

I hear the Vox Tonelab SE is also very good, comparable to the Pod XT Live. I think I'm actually gonna check out a GT8 when they hit stores.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Remember Mr Moobs... the GT-8 will most likely suck when you try it in the stores. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Arm yourself with some patch settings that perhaps some people have posted on the net, tweak to match in the store, and THEN demo it! I'm thinking I might try that if I see any GT-8s in my stores here, although I know my GT-6 pretty well and I am guessing that I can apply what I already know to the new situation. Can't be that different, I say!

Comment

I'll definitely tweak and demo it! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] How's the expression pedal on the GT-6? There's a switch under the pedal so you can go from having it as a volume pedal and then turn into a wah, right?

Comment

So it sounds like if you want plug and play with minimal tweaking, the POD XT Live is the way to go, but if you love tweaking (presets that is) go with the GT-8. It's a shame they can't deliver the thing with decent presets though, they're probably helping Line6 a lot.
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Rich not really.. POD's are not pllug and play either IMO...

Comment

Have you heard the preset patches that come with the GT-6? They don't come any worse than that. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I am rather confident that even the POD's plug and play patches are worlds better than those from the GT-6. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Yup, the wah is footswitchable by hammering the expression pedal to the toe. I never use the built in wah though, since I have my Morley Bad Horsie II and an awesome wah that is. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Alright, everything being said from me about my praise (and insults [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) on the GT series, I would LOVE to someday try out the POD XT Live and compare the two! The Line 6 stuff is probably better for the amp/cab/speaker sim stuff, especially when it comes to the ultra-heavy gain settings, but if the XT Live came out two years ago at the same time the GT-6 came out, I might have chosen differently!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Yup, the wah is footswitchable by hammering the expression pedal to the toe. I never use the built in wah though, since I have my Morley Bad Horsie II and an awesome wah that is. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                        Cool. I've actually got two Crybaby pedals, one's a limited edition copper casing, the other's a black one I got from Jgcable modded to sounder warmer and more vocal like a Vox, but I may sell them off, as well as some other pedals, if I get a multi pedal. I'd probably just use the expression pedal as a volume pedal most of the time and occasionally as a wah.

Comment

Yup, I use mine mostly as a volume pedal too. My brother taught me a cool trick with it on his GT-6B where he would have 70% volume with the heel down, and then 100% volume with the toe down for a solo boost with no change in tone! Awesome and I am stupid for not realizing something like that before! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Also you can set the expression pedal to do virtually anything you want. You can control flange speed as you rock your foot on the pedal, or change the amount of chorus, or boost overdrive, or change delay tempo/duration, or anything else you can think of assigning to the pedal! Of course, some of the things I just said may not be true since I haven't had the opportunity to try it myself yet, so I am just DREAMING that those kinds of features might be there... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Was it TwisterAmps who said that the GT-6 is like "A Vetta on the floor"? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Also you can set the expression pedal to do virtually anything you want. You can control flange speed as you rock your foot on the pedal, or change the amount of chorus, or boost overdrive, or change delay tempo/duration, or anything else you can think of assigning to the pedal! Of course, some of the things I just said may not be true since I haven't had the opportunity to try it myself yet, so I am just DREAMING that those kinds of features might be there... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                            I'm sure you can do all those things with it. My old DOD GS30 can do pretty much the same things with its expression pedal. The only thing is that I need to go to a different patch to have the wah set up since there's no button underneath the pedal. It's one of the first modeling floor processors that came out in the late '90s, though both the unit and the footpedal are plastic, and it's not nearly half as good as everything out nowadays. And I sometimes do the volume pedal thing at about 70% and then kick it up to 100% for a boost. You can do the same thing with a volume pedal in your amp's effects loop. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              The Boss GT series require you to really sit down and fine-tweak the controls to get a great sound. I doubt Marty had time to explore his GT-8 beofre performing at NAMM.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe but he did have the Roland/Boss guys during sound check tweaking for him... I was left unimpressed then again if I judged the Vetta on Michael Romeo's tone I would be less than impressed too

Comment

Working...
                              X