Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pickups and amps, do they match together?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pickups and amps, do they match together?

im just sitting here..being dumb, thinking about god knows what, and i just wanted to know how many of you guys have found that pickups match amps, for instance i beleive the best pickup for the 5150 hands down goes too the EMG 81, and it also sounds awosme with the new stariani head, but the emg sounds nasty in my engl blackmore, ive used it with other cabs a marshall 1960 B cab, and a carvin legacy cab. both sounded bad with the emg, is this just the blackmore? or do you guys with Powerballs and fireballs have better luck with emgs? or how about other amps all together...do you guys find emgs to sound great in one high gain heads and just nasty in another? im in the market for new pickups, but im also going to be getting rid of most of my setup and am starting to look for a new slate to start my legacy [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]ya right! but anyway.. your thoughts?

Re: pickups and amps, do they match together?

emg's sound like ass through my riveras. one could say that you can EQ it out, but no...they sound like ass. not like juicy female ass...like hairy, sweaty, doo-doo filled man ass, and that's bad!!
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Now my EMG's sound good through my powerball but they are running @ 18volt.
      I keep the bible in a pool of blood
      So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

I don't think anything sounds good through a Legacy.

Comment

ACE did you own one?

Comment

EMG's sound like poo through my Randall RG100ES but good through my old Peavey XXL, THe Dimebucker just kills through my Randall for some reason.

Comment

haha I wonder why!

Comment

I just cant figure it out. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

hey tetsuo are you saying that your emg's sounded like shit before they were wired for 18 volt? god damn i wish the techs had half a brain in montana...none of them can do stuff like that...they can barley put emgs in yet alone wire them for 18vlt

Comment

I like EMGs through my Vetta but hated them through the Fenders & Marshalls I used to own. I have a really great Strat with lace sensors that sound like complete ass through every amp I've ever plugged it into but sound great through my old Digitech GSP2101. Duncan Distortions sound good through most anything to me as do the PRS HFS & Vintage pups in my Custom 24. I like the Duncan Screamin' Demon through the rack gear but not through the amps I've had. The Duncan P-90s in the GMP I just got sound fantastic on some patches on the Vetta but like total ass on others (that sound great w/other pups). So yeah, absolutely, sometimes the pups and amp just work very well together and at other times it's just a losing proposition from the get-go, at least IMHO.
                    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Some amp/pickup combinations definitely sound better together than others.

What amazes me is how many times people will swap multi-thousand dollar amp heads looking for that "elusive" sound yet never once thing to tweak it with pickup swaps.

Comment

APC
                        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          hey tetsuo are you saying that your emg's sounded like shit before they were wired for 18 volt? god damn i wish the techs had half a brain in montana...none of them can do stuff like that...they can barley put emgs in yet alone wire them for 18vlt

[/ QUOTE ]

No not saying it because when I had 9volt EMG's I didn't have my Powerball... Never tried it that way [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] 9 volt EMG's killed through my Mesa though and I did not like through my Marshall 6100.

Comment

Oh and I must admidt that the Tone zone through Mesas is awesome. Honestly through Mesa's the Pups that worked best for me were the PRS HFS Tone Zone and EMG's... Go figure.. People who play mesa's using EMG's and PRS guitars are rare aye [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

ahh well that gives me a little hope for my emgs. earlier in the post Ace said that everything sounds like shit through legacy, and well...i have to agree, i hate that cab. plus the piece of crap didnt come with wheels and im to cheep to purchase some. so i have to hall that big mother around like Conan. its killin me. i need to get a new cab for it im really not doing the engl justice, what cabs do you guys use with your engls

Comment

Working...
                              X