Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pickups and amps, do they match together?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: pickups and amps, do they match together?

So far the best I have heard used with a ENGL is a Bogner Uber Cab, THat cab had some BALLS! Big hairy Viking balls at that!

Comment

yes...certain pickups sound better than others with certain amps, the perfect match is what your ears tell you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I can't comment on EMG's because I'm not too fond of them (PC for I think they suck hehehe)

I'm for medium to higher output passive pickups such as SD JB, Custom-Custom, Distortion, Screamin Demon, Jazz, 59 and one of my favorites of all time... Dimarzio Super Distortion.

Usually its not that one sounds bad with a certain amp for me, just different. I find if I keep at it I can make it work and actually like it for certain applications.
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

I come from the school of " Make the amp work" I like the EMG 85. The EMG 81 is great for harmonics and Metal.

My Best Guitars have lower output pick ups, I record more than play out. I had a Custom ESP where they painted the pick up to match the graphic, it was 81, instead of a 85, I put the Preamp/eq in to remedy it...and it sucked..

Its all realitive, I put a Duncan Hotrail in a Thinline and it sounded great with the 3 piece bridge, when I put the 6 piece allparts on it, it changed, I switched necks and the guitar just died of tone.

The Duncan "78, or a Wolfgang/EBBM Bridge Pickup is so versitile...But if you want Gain and Compression...EMG Baby!

Comment

Riveras + Duncans = Great. I toured with Jason Bieler - Saigon Kick, Those amps were so powerful that Duncans were the only choice, He had a Les Paul Custom with EMG's That I think Zakk gave him when Saigon Kick toured Japan with Ozzy, That guitar was uncontrolable, and was a spare C# Guitar that thankfully was never needed.

Comment

Working...
          X