New rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New rig

So I've been playing live with a Zakk JCM 800 for awhile now and it is pretty good of course. My local dealer talked me into buying one of the Marshall Plexi reissues (the 50 watt head) as my "back up".

Now my band plays mostly 80's type rock/metal so I wasn't sure this amp was a good idea because this thing is pretty clean (think blues or 70's rock).

But I bought the Metal Zone modified by Analog Man (analogman.com) and HOLY SHITE. Now keep in mind this is NOT a stock Metal Zone. Analog Man basically guts the pedal and gives it a pro mod. With a USA Soloist plugged into a few Boss pedals (delay, chorus, flanger, etc) and the modified Metal Zone, I have reached tone nirvana.

I'm not kidding we played a gig this Saturday and I was so happy with my tone I couldn't stop smiling (probably looked even more stupid than usual).

So I just thought I'd pass this on in case you're thinking about the re-issue Marshall Plexi's for hard rock or metal. With the right pedals and some tweaking, this amp absolutely rules. As much as I love my Zakk JCM 800, the Plexi is now my main live amp.

Marshall 1987x re-issue

Re: New rig

Cool Bro. I have one too. Mine has a Splawn mod and KT-88's so no need for pedals with mine. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

It's also kind of a sheep in wolfs clothing you know. Looks like a lil old plexi, but sounds awesome!

Comment

That sounds like a winning combination. The Metal Zone is pretty nice stock but the modded ones rule. Slamming a Plexi with a modded MT-2 sounds good. I play a 1987 JCM800 #2210 with the high gain circuit and it has plenty of gain but when I need to kick it up I slam the front end with a preamp. I know what you mean when you said you coudln't stop smiling. Great tone will do that!!

Comment

The 50 watt Plexi was nice when I owned the big House....Not a great Back Up...The 5150 is cheap and is bulletproof...*Change the Output tubes to EL-34's like Ed....SHHHHHH!

Comment

Working...
        X