Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what are some of the better sounding amps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what are some of the better sounding amps?

Let's say something in the lower range of power, definitely less than 50 watts for a tube amp. What are some of the better sounding amps out there for bedroom jamming and an occasional night out at a small bar gig? Not looking for any kind of shred monster machine, just some of the best tone you've ever heard, clean and overdriven. Reverb is a plus, but not mandatory.

Re: what are some of the better sounding amps?

I've played many times on a friend's Marshall Jubilee head with the pentode/triode switch set to 25 watts. Most excellent.

Comment

Bogner Ecstasy 101B in 1/2 power mode and old mode...in the 25 watt range [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

For what you are looking for what about a Bogner Shiva? Those are real smoking they don't get to crazy on the gain... A soldano hot Rod 50 is an option even a Mesa Mark IV which sounded pretty good at any volume level... Or if you got the big bucks go after the Ecstacy you can't go wrong with that or an SLO IMO
        I keep the bible in a pool of blood
        So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Wow. That is like asking a guy that loves 31 flavors to pick his favorite! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Mesa/Boogie F-30. There's a pull bright on the gain control of the clean channel, channel two has a contour gain boost, both channels have their own separate reverb. Definitely recommended by me! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_In.../F-series.html
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

here are a couple that i've owned and liked:
              mesa nomad 45 combo, line 6 hd147, crate v-30, rivera chubster, and my favorite at the moment tech 21 tm-60.

Comment

Also, the F-50 right at 50 watts and uses 6L6 tubes, the F-30 uses EL84`s. Jack.

Comment

Soldano Astroverb. 20W EL84's.

I'm pretty interested to check out the stuff made by James Peters (www.petersamps.com), but I don't know that I'll ever have the opportunity to just happen upon one somewhere.
                  please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty interested to check out the stuff made by James Peters (www.petersamps.com), but I don't know that I'll ever have the opportunity to just happen upon one somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhhh Chuckracer? Are you listening?

Shawn
                    Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

If you want something much cheaper than Bogner, Soldano, etc.. Check out a Peavey Classic 30, great tones for little $$$.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Uhhh Chuckracer? Are you listening?

[/ QUOTE ]
                        Peters doesn't make the JP-10 anymore. Check out the site.
                        please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

It's a bit of a shame, too. The longer I own this thing, the more I discover it can do. I've spoke with James a few times and he told me a couple of months ago that the first person to buy a JP a couple of years or so ago is only now starting to understand what it's all about. I can relate!

I'm no longer interested in selling mine!

Comment

Glad to hear you're keeping that amp. I liked the way it sounded. Nice amp!

Comment

Working...
                            X