opinions on the peavey jsx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opinions on the peavey jsx

well, what does everyone think of this amp? My friend in montana got it and I loved it. When he threw in his eq pedal it sounded killer

Re: opinions on the peavey jsx

i've head good stuff about this amp. but i will tell ya. i wouldn't want an amp that you HAVE to put something in front of it to make it sound good. i want it smoking and pefect right out of the box.

but i have not tried one of these yet. if your gonna gig with it, make sure you carry extra tubes and fuses. my buddies XXX blew up on him in the middle of there set last month. i had to run out to the car and grab my boogie head for him to finish the set.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      well, what does everyone think of this amp? My friend in montana got it and I loved it. When he threw in his eq pedal it sounded killer

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a great amp for the price.
      reminds me of a modded XXX( has a warmer bias and comes with the el-34's and a noise gate)
      tonally it has a smoother gain than the XXX and has a better clean channel.
      I had one for a week on a tryout with the band and it rocked but i did not feel it was good enough to make me sell my MK-IV so i did not buy it
      [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

nice, are those mk-IV's really nice amps? They do have combo versions of them right? I dont really want a half stack right now.

Comment

" if your gonna gig with it, make sure you carry extra tubes and fuses. my buddies XXX blew up on him in the middle of there set last month."

Well extra tubes are probably a good idea for any amp. This one incident shouldn't give the JSX and XXX a bad name. I've been playing mine for a year without any problems.

Has better clean than the XXX? I haven't heard a JSX yet but the XXX has one of the cleanest clean ch's I have ever heard in a tube amp. You can't get that ch to break up.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            nice, are those mk-IV's really nice amps? They do have combo versions of them right? I dont really want a half stack right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i have the half stacks but you can get them in combo form
            they are little ass kickers too
            http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_In...V/mark_iv.html [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
            If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

A lot of people complain about the XXX clean channel, and I'm convinced that it is because most people expect something different out of tube clean. To me, it sounds more like a solid state clean sound, which is exactly what I was looking for: tons of headroom, crisp and clear. If you want warm clean, it just isn't the right amp.

How does the JSX clean differ?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                A lot of people complain about the XXX clean channel, and I'm convinced that it is because most people expect something different out of tube clean. To me, it sounds more like a solid state clean sound, which is exactly what I was looking for: tons of headroom, crisp and clear. If you want warm clean, it just isn't the right amp.

How does the JSX clean differ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to have a triple xxx 112 and I loved it, that's actually what inspired my friend to get a peavey. He initially was going to get an xxx halfstack and I was like "dude, you should try out those new jsx's too" he told me he thought they would be to low on gain for him [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].

he did end up trying and later told me he apparently had no idea what he was talking about with the gain, the jsx rocks.

That said, I'm with you on my clean sounds, both the jsx and the xxx have similar cleans and I think they are awesome. I'd actually take either of those amps over a dual rectifier, which I'm not a huge fan of.

Comment

Mainly, I'm trying to determine if the JSX is good enough to warrant me replacing my XXX with one. I'm really happy with mine, so the JSX would really have to knock my socks off.

I have an even lower opinion of the dual and tri recs. I think they are horrible sounding overpriced pieces of poo.

Comment

Working...
                  X