AC Power Noise Filtering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC Power Noise Filtering

For whatever reason, I am getting a terrible hum from my home's AC power through my amps and even when recording. Does anyone have experience with any products that do a decent job of ridding AC noise?
    www.sandimascharvel.com

Re: AC Power Noise Filtering

The NEW Furman's are supposed to be an improvement over the previous models. They feature a technology they call LIFT. I was gonna check one out. I have an old Furman and IMO it's an overpriced, fancy looking, 19" powerstrip. A Mr. Coffee filter worked better.

Comment

I've had a Furman PL-Plus in the rack for 10 or so years and it does a nice job of filtering out the awful noise from the few Halogen / rheostat lamps I always seem to have around. That said if I were in the market I'd probably spend the extra dough for a new one as they appear to have made improvements not only in their noise filtering capabilities but also on the surge protection / voltage clamping side as well.

If it's a rack rig that's giving you fits using something like Hum-frees to isolate each piece electrically from the rails can help quite a bit as well. If you don't do that noise can sneak in through the wall socket ground -> chassis ground -> rack rails connection (sometimes even when you've used non-conductive washers).
      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

For the ultimate in filtering go with the AR-1215 line voltage regulator...they have the newer model as well. Or if it's strictly just for home use go with the Furman Power Factor unit...they will have a 1 space rackmount unit the PF-Pro R that is due to come out in March....I spoke with an engineer from Furman at NAMM about this...and I have experience with the line voltage regulators...I have the AR-1215 and the AR-117 (previous unit)....the AR-117 is for sale if you're interested too.

- Joel
        RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
        RIP Dime

Comment

Working...
        X