Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggest speakers for a Single Rectifier.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggest speakers for a Single Rectifier.....

I'm looking into an Avatar 2x12 cabinet for the Single Rect I just bought from John. I'll keep the 1x12 3/4 back at home, but the Avatar will be for band practice and gigs.

What speakers should I get? I want what will work with the rectifier the best. here are the choices....

60 watt Celestian Vintage 30's
    75 watt Celestian G75T-75's
    75 watt Eminence Govenor's

or should I get it empty and buy some other speakers?

[img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]
    "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Re: Suggest speakers for a Single Rectifier.....

well, i personally like EVM or JBL speakers, but i seem to be a freak. do you like the way the head sounds with the 1x12? if so buy the cab empty and order 2 mesa 90 watt speakers. if you don't like it, then it would matter how you want the EQ of the speaker to effect the tone of the amp.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Jim, for Celestion I would look at the Classic Lead for a 2 x 12 cabinet. It is an 80w speaker and is very punchy.
      Of course you can't go wrong with Vintage 30's but you have to watch the bass response they provide considering you are using a 2 x 12 cabinet.
      IMHO, high wattage speakers sound better in a 2 x 12 cabinet.

Comment

If you want to bring that Single over to my house you can check it out on my 2 x 12 with the Altec Lansings in it. It will give you a good idea of whether or not you want to go with high wattage speakers that don't break up or speakers that break up easily. I think that Rectifiers have enough "built in" sizzle and actually benefit from high wattage punchy speakers.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I think that Rectifiers have enough "built in" sizzle and actually benefit from high wattage punchy speakers.

[/ QUOTE ]

i totally agree with that. high wattage speakers could make that amp roar!!
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Sounds like a plan John. I really liked the way your 2210 responded to the 2x12 with AL's. The 4x12 sounded good with the 30's, but then again it was a 4x12. I'll let you know when I get it and we'll hook up for sure.

I didn't get the amp yet, but waiting to see how it sounds with the 1x12 is probably the best place to start.

Thanks guys.
            "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

Just let me know when you get it Jim.. Also, if you want to take my 2 x 12 and try it out at band practice you could do that too. John G

Comment

Hey Jim, it rocks with the 1x12 but I've never tried it through anything else. And a 2x12 for practice is a good idea so you don't have to lug it back and forth. It's only a 1x12 but it's 60 lbs!
                Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

I have the Black Shaddow 90watt speakers in my Mesa Cabs that I use with RoadKings/Rectifiers. To my ears they are the best sounding speaker/cab for the mesa amp.

I've run the Mesa cab with the 30s in it as well, and it sings nicely for leads, but is too flabby for tight rhythm work.

I have also run the rectos through Marshall and Fender cabs, and didn't like the results.
                  ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

whatever you do, don't go for vintage 30s, please. they sound like shit....well, at least to my ears [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

i think you can't go wrong with the basic gt75 speakers, although classic lead 80s seem to be pretty nice, too.

greets
                    fragle

Comment

Mesa C90's [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                      shawnlutz.com

Comment

I think the Vintage 30s and the G12T-75s sound great together. How about one of each? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

i'm thinking about trying a 10" 60w pioneer loudspeaker in my avt20. they also make a 12" 150w loudspeaker for 4x12 cabs. it should be interesting. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                          Guitars... Rhoads RX10D
                          Amp... Pioneer
                          Effects... Boss ME-20

Comment

I thought Vintage 30's is 70watt.

Rect 2x12 and 4x12 with Vintage 30's are great cabs to play Rectifier.
                            I had these cabs and they were great.

Comment

I vote CL 80's...although I just recently got a pair of Eminence Governers....nice speakers...aint even broken in yet...who wants to buy two V30's [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X