Lee Jackson GP-1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lee Jackson GP-1000

I am currently running this preamp through the clean channel on my combo amp. And am experiencing a lot of buzz and hiss on the distortion channel of the preamp, but is pretty quiet on clean channel of the preamp, is this because of the way i am running it, ie not using a poweramp, or does it sound more like a fault with the lee jackson preamp?

Re: Lee Jackson GP-1000

Hi there I am looking into getting one of these myself, maybe if you run it through the effects loop, or line in of your amp, if it has one?

Maybe it's just a bad connection in the preamp od section?

I'm in the UK any idea of where I can get one?

Ozz

Comment

i got mine off of ebay, actually bought it off some guy in wales :P........ye im running it into the line in of the amp, not got an fx loop, i'm thinking maybe its a tube issue, but i dont know enough bout tube amps to make a decision

Comment

The GP-1000 is pretty noisy no matter what. I immediately replaced the existing tubes in mine with new electro-harminix 12ax7's which cleaned up the signal a bit. I bought it off ebay and figured the unlabled tubes were probably shot but the difference was marginal. Putting gain past 12 oclock with distortion past 12 oclock is very noisy..it sounds like your just amplifying that noise with your combo. Hope that helps...I had mine hooked up long enough to realize it wasn't the sound I was looking for. Ohh well..
        -Michael

Comment

well i have a picture of alexi laiho's live rig and the volume and dist knobs are on full on it, and all he has for noise reduction is a rocktron intellifex, same as i do.........so i'm confused, unless its the fact of not using a poweramp?

Comment

Do you know about the serial numbers? Apparently..if it starts with 87 then its a fender modded sound. If it starts with 88 of later...then a modded Marshall sound..Mine is an 87 so apparently it is missing a gain stage..People say that the sound difference is very noticable...
            I have an 87 (white sticker on back) so probably why mine sounds like ass even with $80.00 worth of new tubes. If you have a xlr output thats another way of telling its a fender mod..the marshall mods replaced the xlr out with a gain stage.
            I don't know...I was expecting a lot more from mine.
            -Michael

Comment

mine is an 87 as well, bastard thing, dont sound too bad with a tube screamer in front of the clean channel though, and thats without a poweramp and cab, keep in mind my combo amp is a line 6 spider, not a tube combo

Comment

If you go to metaltronix.com..there's an faq which explains all the serials..
                It recommends running in front of a SS amp so I ran mine through my mosvalve 962...no pretty..
                maybe the 88 sounds better..three hundo down the drain!
                -Michael

Comment

cost me £165 shipped........not too bad, but i bought it thinking i could buy alexi's rig and it sound not too bad

Comment

guess it was a complete waste of money.......

Comment

Working...
                    X