Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In need of a specific distortion

Hey,
    I've been playing around with a KORG ToneWorks AX100G for some time and recently I've decided to get dedicated pedals for effects. Now, I do like the US HI-GAIN amp model which is modelled after a Soldano SLO-100 head. I think that this model sounds great but I don't want my AX100G on my pedalboard.

Can anyone recommend a distortion stompbox (analog/modelling) that sounds closest to the preamp voicing of a (1991) SLO-100? I intend to use it for heavy death metal in B-tuning.

Re: In need of a specific distortion

Maybe one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...60479&rd=1

Shawn
    Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

These are much too expensive! I'm still in college you know. It doesn't have to be Soldano but it has to be voiced somewhat like this US HI-GAIN model. I haven't heard all the distortionpedals out there, but I was thinking about something not much more than a 100 bucks. The metalzone won't do it because I am not in need of 'just' a distortionpedal. Of all available 'regular stompboxes', what comes closest to this preamp model?

Comment

What's wrong with using the Korg if it already sounds good to you? Line6 made a distortion pedal that only did the amp tones... I think the SLO was on it, not sure.

Pete

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          metalzone won't do it because I am not in need of 'just' a distortion pedal.

[/ QUOTE ]
          It's more than just a distortion. You can lower the gain, you know? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Plus, it's got low, high, mid and mid frequency eq controls.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Boss OD-20, $179 new. But it can do a LOT more than just that one tone.
            please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

Thanks I'll check it out. And wow, what spectecular features of the MT2! Serious... It's not gonna be a metalzone. I am looking for a distortion that emphasizes the same frequencies as this model. At another board I suggested to get myself an equalizer.

Comment

I also wonder, why not use the Korg for that sound alone if you like it? Is it a space concern or what?
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Tonebone Hot British distortion... awesome!

Comment

The line 6 PODXT Live has a Killer SLO Model, I use that and the JCM. The Mesa sucks now and sounds nothing like the POD 1.0, so I use those and wow, I mostly write and record and use Protools, I have every Waves plug plus all the others and add NOTHING to the guitar tracks, except I AUX them out to a Waves Reverb when I mix.

I'd say start over, That SLO Kills and is so "Open Sounding"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I also wonder, why not use the Korg for that sound alone if you like it? Is it a space concern or what?

[/ QUOTE ]Yes, partially. And I really like the voicing but it sounds just like a 100 bucks digital multifx ampmodel (which it is).

I'll be getting an EQ-pedal. I have been patiently messing around with the Tri Metal and there's really nothing that the Death Metal or Metal Master can do that the Tri Metal can't. Well... except for making noise! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

There is a tone that's getting close to this Soldano model, but the built-in EQ isn't sufficient to nail it. An outboard EQ probably will. I'd like to know if a seven band EQ will do and when I'd use one, should I set the EQ controls on the Tri Metal at 12 o' clock? I'd like to hear your opinions.

P.S.
                      I just realize that I haven't mentioned that I already have a ZOOM TM-01 Tri Metal. I like this pedal very much but it can't produce the exact sound that I like which, by the way, doesn't have to particularly sound 'tubish'.

Comment

How about an old Korg 401ds HyperDistortion pedal? I'm pretty sure that the AX-series pedals carried over a lot of the features and tones of earlier Korg stuff. The HyperDistortion has amp and direct-recording outs, a cab emulator, and a pretty wide range of tones. I loaned one to a friend and never got it back, or I could describe it better...
                        sigpic

Comment

what you really want is the pod xtlive. then all you'll need is power amp and speaker cab. you'll have knob eq's for the amp models as well as a semi parametric eq and tones of effects.
                          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

The Hyper Distortion is a great pedal, but it doesn't do the sound of the KORG's US HI-GAIN model. Dreamland_Rebel is right. I really want the XT Live, but my dealer really wants to see cash. I can save some money each month, but I rather modify my current setup for less money since I don't need that much and I'm satisfied with the rest of my stuff.

Comment

you can't talk GC down to 375 out the door. just tell the manager that you'll pay 375, tax tags and title, today but thats it and they will say ok.

that is the cheapest they can leagally sell it for.

with the xt live all you'll need to keep is your head (or pwr amp) cab and guitar. you could sell the rest.
                              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
                              X