Marshall TSL 100 Head???????????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marshall TSL 100 Head???????????

Ya, I would love to get a Dual Rectifier 3 channel, but can`t afford that much. Jack.

Comment

For $800, you should check out a Peavy Triple XXX. The Crunch channel gives you that classic modded Marshall sound, and the Ultra channel gives you more high gain saturation than you'll ever need.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Voodoo Amps has a mod for them, and I've never heard anything bad about Voodoo. If the price is right and you have enough left over for the mod...

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite right! If the price is right, Trace will turn that TSL into a BEAST!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I have the TSL100 with a 1936 cab. I play 80's female covers and for what I need mine to do, it does well. The one thing I really like about the marshall is that I can adjust each channel to the tone I want. With that being said, I not 100% happy with the amp because the gain channels can sound muddy expecially when playing live at stage volume--I'll get lost in the mix. If the price is right ($700 +/-) I'd say go for it.

If what you've read above has not been enough to help you with your decision, can you better describe what your expections would be, might be easier to help you then.

Good luck

joe...

[/ QUOTE ]

Joe, crank your mids! You won't get lost in the mix anymore [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Your Ultra 60 has to sound way better than that TSL would, Jack. Poor build quality, poor sound quality, high price for that low quality - what's the upside? You'd be very disappointed even if it doesn't break down all the time like they have a rep for doing. Put it in the shop a few times and pay more than you paid for the head and you'll be frustrated indeed. If you really have to have a Marshall get a JCM800 and hit the front end with a pedal.
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Lerx, you've been listening to me way too long! Hahahaha...

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks guys. Yes, I like the Triple XXX, I have played thru them. I would like to try the JSX next, but I have heard they sound thin? My Ultra 60 is a smokin amp, especially when I smack the front end of it!! I am really wanting an Ultra Plus 100 Head, but they are getting overpriced of late. I would also like to try a Dual Rectifier, I may like those? I would buy an ENGL SE, but you know, the over $3000 price tag and all. I feel the Peaveys are of very high quality, my Ultra 60 is built very nicely. I deffinately want 3 channels. I am also waiting on the new Carvin V3 to come out and hear that one. I loved the VHT Pittbull CLX, but it was so tight and couldn`t loosen it up, that is why I love the Peaveys damper switch. Jack.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I play 80's female covers and for what I need mine to do, it does well

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it does it well, you're playing 80's female covers... the music has no balls! literally [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

The Dsl has to be at at least 4 to sound good! It's a Marshall and is made to be played loud in order for it to sound great period,as Dreamland Rebel stated!

In all honesty, I love mine, but I had to have the stock tubes changed, and I run a BBE with it. It sounds Great and it is very versatile, the cleans on this amp are really good.

That being said, IT IS NOT GONNA BE GOOD FOR WHAT YOU WANT, This amp sucks for heavy tharash kinda stuff. It just doesn't have enough gain for that.

Someone mentioned voodoo amps, well that mod was gonna cost me 400.00! That is about a third of what I paid for it.

Again, wiht a little work, this amp sounds great cranked up, but is not a good amp at all for Heavy Metal or thrash stuff.
                    Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

The Dsl has to be at at least 4 to sound good! It's a Marshall and is made to be played loud in order for it to sound great period,as Dreamland Rebel stated!

In all honesty, I love mine, but I had to have the stock tubes changed, and I run a BBE with it. It sounds Great and it is very versatile, the cleans on this amp are really good.

That being said, IT IS NOT GONNA BE GOOD FOR WHAT YOU WANT, This amp sucks for heavy tharash kinda stuff. It just doesn't have enough gain for that.

Someone mentioned voodoo amps, well that mod was gonna cost me 400.00! That is about a third of what I paid for it.

Again, wiht a little work, this amp sounds great cranked up, but is not a good amp at all for Heavy Metal or thrash stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I mentioned the Voodoo mod and it is worth every penny and yes you can play thrash, speed and Death metal with it.

Comment

I think $800.00 is a great deal for that amp. I have owned:

Mesa's , Single, dual, MK IV, RK
                        Marshalls , DSL, TSL, SS amp
                        VHT's , UL , CL
                        Bogner XTC

I swear I don't know why you guys dislike the TSL/DSL's so much and why they take such a beating in general. You simply must not like the Marshall tone because that is simply what they sound like w/ lots of gain on tap. Do you not like the Maiden Powerslave tone because they are spot on. They may not be as lush and chewy as a Bogner, they may not have the aggression of a VHT but they have a feel and fast attack unlike anything else but a Marshall.....the top end aint the sweetest but the low end Marshall roar at volume cannot be duplicated by anything but a Marshall, the tightness of a Mesa is a JOKE compared to a Marshall....sorry for the rant...I think they are cool amps that get a seriously bad rap and I must admit I am a ,"Marshall", guy....my ears simply want to hear there characteristics. I remember when the JCM 800 was the worst thing ever created by man....when everybody hated them I liked them as well...oh well.

Comment

Lot of the typical internet hearsay going on in this thread but that's nothing new.

I personally think the DSLs sound great however, they wouldn't be my first choice for thrash or speed metal not without a boost pedal at least anyway.

I would NOT choose a Mesa for thrash with that loose bottom end and overall dark sounding amp.

I think the Peaveys(XXX and JSX) are an amazing bang for the buck amps that really cover most of the Marshall-like and Mesa-like tones in one package depending on how you dial in the amp and what tubes you put in there. Although the Mesas adn Marshalls are great amps the Peaveys hold their own to them in every way IMO.

Also, any of these amps really need to be cranked to sound good....I don't think many tube amps at all sound really good at bedroom volumes.

Comment

Working...
                          X