• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JSX

What do you guys think of these

My bro just bought one and I check it-
    I like it and it has pretty good definition-I think its a pretty great amp-

My only complaint would be that the ultra channel seems noisy-like old marshal noisy-guess thats why the noise gate is built in-

After playing it I realized I just like the character of old marshalls better than my Mesa- I am done with it I think- [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

Re: JSX

I had it and didn't like it.
    I sold my VHT and bought this but that was simple mistake.

Like you said, the ultra channel was too noisy and unable to use.
    It has noise gate that doesn't work.
    Even the 2nd channel was noisy and sounded thin.
    Gain you get from this amp is just unreal and I just couldn't stand it.
    It's like you are playing an amp with 2 distortion pedals on.
    I really don't understand how this could be Joe Satriani's signature model and I still can't imagine he is really using this.

Now I am going back to buy Engl or something else.

Comment

I am happy with my XXX.... Not sure what Joe wanted to do with the JSX.

Comment

I'm happy with my XXX, too. I know the early JSX's had some problems that have since been resolved (so I hear) but I don't know what they were. I think they are pretty similar amps, but I know the JSX moved some controls (all?) to the front of the amp, and ships with EL34s instead of 6L6s even though both amps will take either type.

Would love to try out a JSX, haven't had a chance. Won't be getting rid of my xxx anytime soon, but I have been thinking about trying EL34s in it.

Keith
        The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

Hello. I recently demoed the JSX (throug Peavey 4 x 12)with my GMW swords (EMG) and 85 Charvel pointy (Jackson pu) and the thing that impressed me most was the quality of sound you are able to get a moderately low volumes. Playing clubs, that is always a big thing for me. To get my
          boogie to sound decent, I have to be at least 11:00 on the
          master volume but most places can't have you up that high.
          We (me and the guy at the store) sat around jamming on OZZY,
          Dokken, old school VH, AC DC, Mr. Big until closing time.
          To me, with some tweaking here and there, I was able to get these sounds. Was it noisy ? Yes, it was. Is it just as noisy as my boogie with my Keeley DS 1 switched on ? Probably, but I am sure a good noise reduction unit into the loop will fix that. Try before you buy. [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

Me too. It sounds really good but it is noisy but I kind of expected it because the XXX, the XXL and the 5150 are all noisy. Maybe its a Peavey trademark.

Comment

I own an XXX and it's pretty damn near DEAD SILENT...even at gig volumes with lots of gain. Only time I got noise and feedback was when I was standing directly in front of the thing at gig volumes.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Won't be getting rid of my xxx anytime soon, but I have been thinking about trying EL34s in it.

Keith

[/ QUOTE ]

Do it, I can almost garuntee you won't regret it. It really makes the amp more crunchy and sweet sounding IMO while retaining the aggressiveness it has. It sounds more like a hot-rodded Marshall with those tubes instead of a Mesa type sound IMO.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I own an XXX and it's pretty damn near DEAD SILENT...even at gig volumes with lots of gain. Only time I got noise and feedback was when I was standing directly in front of the thing at gig volumes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have to agree.... The only time I have any hiss is when I am standing in front of it with my hotrodded SD-1 on. Pretty quite, otherwise.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have to agree.... The only time I have any hiss is when I am standing in front of it with my hotrodded SD-1 on. Pretty quite, otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here.

I think I'm gunna try EL34's too.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

I have been using a Triple X in a rehearsal studio and it is really noisy. Maybe it has "issues".

Comment

My xxx is quiet, on all channels, using my SG, the strat (Duncan Distortion), and the Shannon. Even when I crank it, which to me is about 5. Unless I'm near a computer monitor, tv, or large motor (like a fan). So long as I stay away from things that interfere, it is so quiet that I sold my Hush about 6 months ago. Didn't need it.

Keith
                        The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

update on the JSX

My bro has had it for a week and it came right out of the box-3 bad power tubes-

Waiting to see how its dealt with-

Comment

Jeesh.... That don't look good. Hope all turns out.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Hello. I recently demoed the JSX (throug Peavey 4 x 12)with my GMW swords (EMG) and 85 Charvel pointy (Jackson pu) and the thing that impressed me most was the quality of sound you are able to get a moderately low volumes. Playing clubs, that is always a big thing for me. To get my
                              boogie to sound decent, I have to be at least 11:00 on the
                              master volume but most places can't have you up that high.
                              We (me and the guy at the store) sat around jamming on OZZY,
                              Dokken, old school VH, AC DC, Mr. Big until closing time.
                              To me, with some tweaking here and there, I was able to get these sounds. Was it noisy ? Yes, it was. Is it just as noisy as my boogie with my Keeley DS 1 switched on ? Probably, but I am sure a good noise reduction unit into the loop will fix that. Try before you buy. [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I highly agree! I love the JSX I demoed! Its not a price thing either I'm going of strictly what I liked about the sound. This amp has a charecter to it that I don't see in many tube amps. I hear this frequencey very often in solid state amps but not in many tube amps. It has a very pronounced chug sound to it. You get that "CHUGA CHUGA CHUGA" sound to it and it sounds punchy but not in a dark way. It has a very high fi sound to my ears. It's not the type of amp that would peal back faces but its punchy quality sound that I like is enough to not think twice about purchasing it (my band is no slouch on the heavy department either). Another thing that blew me away about this amp is that all the channels were not only great sounding but they all matched up perfectly. Channel switching is a blast on this amp. Its not very often that I have that much fun on an amp at that price, but I got adicted to switching through all the channels while demoing this amp. In my opinion this may not be considerd a metal amp to most because of its lack of lowend, but for my bands perposes it'll work perfectly. We'll have one guitarest take all the lowend and lowmid frequencys and i'll have all that topend chug. Its gonna sound clean and deathy and mean as hell. ...in my head anyway. Cheers! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X