Marshall and Mesa pricing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall and Mesa pricing

Just a little suggestion from yours truly.
    If you are still searching for your perfect METAL amp chances are that you will be going through a fair amount of equipment over the coming years. Buying a used Marshall JCM800 or a Mesa Rectifier are both great choices for 2 very important reasons.
    1. Both series of amps are GREAT for metal and are pretty much industry standards and used by everybody.
    2. You could sell either series amp for as much or more then you paid for it with absolutely no problem. The longer you keep it... the more you will get for it.
    There are plenty of other brands that do METAL great but you will usually take a hit on it if you decide to sell it.
    5150, XXX, JSX, BV120, MTS3200, Randall, Laney and all modeling amps all decrease in value every year.
    Marshall and Mesa are similar to Gibson and Fender in regards to resale value. Sure, not all models go up in value but if you make the right choice and go with a proven Marshall or Mesa you really can't loose.
    Amps to look at:
    Any of the Rectifier series from Mesa
    Marshall JCM800 2203,2204, 2205, 2210 and the Silver Jubilee

These are all great choices. Buy one used and you will NEVER loose money on it.
    Thank you... and good night. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Marshall and Mesa pricing

I can't agree on the Mesa...sorry I would however equate Marshall and Fender to Gibson and Fender. A good ,"money returning" amp is a Bogner if talking used, I paid $2165.00 for a six month old mint XTC....I can get my money back anytime I want.

Comment

For example: you could easily buy a used dual for between $950-$1100
      Used singles sell for between $800-$1000
      Last year they were around $50-$100 less than that.
      Next year they will be $50.00 more. The only way to loose money is if you overpay on a used amp. Retail--- BAD
      Ebay or the JCF---GOOD.

Comment

I agree John that used is the way to go and with all of those choices. I don’t know why people buy new other than a warranty. Why do people buy new SLO's when they have a lifetime transferable warranty [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Mesa rectifiers are either a love or hate thing so use your ears. I like them but don't own one but would like a 50 watt single. Mesa has a different voice to them, not bad just different and I like having different voicing at my disposal.

Also what us old fukkers call metal may not be metal to everyone lol
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

Metal = Megadeth, Slayer, Accept, Maiden, Priest, OLD Metallica...I'm 36.

Comment

Can't forget Metal Church....AWESOME Tone.

Comment

Metal = Ace!!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
              (I'm 26)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Can't forget Metal Church....AWESOME Tone.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Everything is relative. Are you buying with the thought of later selling/trading in? Then you should get something that will hold it's value.

I used to only buy used gear that I KNEW I could get my money back out of if necessary - until I bought my Vetta. As far as usefulness, I've had more versatility and for me, use than any of the Mesas or Marshalls I've owned. But, every year the Vetta going to go down in price, most likely. I don't care - I bought it to fill a need, not as an investment. I have other equipment that I buy with that in mind.

Then again, it would be HILARIOUS if some modelling amps became 'classics' and were worth more $ later on... ya never know with gear. Who would think a first year Whammy pedal would be worth the premium? I sure didn't. For awhile you could buy 5150s cheap as heck too... I bought a 5150 HALF STACK for $500 back in the mid 90s.

Pete

Comment

Oh, one other thing... the 5150 has been going UP in price, not down... and I bet the block letter heads are going to go up even more too.

Pete

Comment

I hear what you're saying about holding value...but I buy stuff to play it, not to sell it. If I don't get my $200 back on the Laney head I bought...well, I won't lose much sleep over that.

Comment

My intent wasn't to promote or bash any amp. My post is just a helpful hint to the guys out there who go through amps like water looking for the perfect sound. My suggestion simply put is to buy used, buy something that will retain its value and it is important to buy an amp that you can get your money back on considering that you will probably be selling it anyway while you are searching for the perfect one. Again.. this is just my opinion; buy used with the intention of being able to get your money back when selling it until you find the amp that is for you. After you find the amp that you are going to keep it doesn't matter if it is increasing or decreasing in value.
                        The amps I mentioned will never hurt your wallet if you can afford to buy one. I do agree with Pete regarding the early 5150's and their potential value down the road. I was thinking about the 5150 combo when I included them in my intitial post. You have to practically give them away. Why?? Its all about the weight. They are just too heavy to lug around to gigs and too large and loud for home use.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          loose money

[/ QUOTE ]
                          Do you have any of that loose money around? I always seem to lose it. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            My intent wasn't to promote or bash any amp. My post is just a helpful hint to the guys out there who go through amps like water looking for the perfect sound. etc...

[/ QUOTE ]
                            No worries. I've seen you post a lot here, and that wouldn't be like you at all. I just wanted to balance it out. To buy a $2,000 amp that'll hold its value, you still need to lay out $2,000. But if you can coax some great tone out of a dirt-cheap amp for five years, you might not make your money back...but you got great tone.

That said, one of these days I'm sure I'll sink some $$$ into one of those amps that'll hold its value!

Comment

The same can be said for guitars.. ALWAYS buy used.. I have owned well over 200 guitars,50 amps and countless effects.. I have yet to lay down $$$ on a new piece of musical gear.
                              Guitars are like cars.. take em off the lot and they lose 30% right off the bat.

Comment

Working...
                              X