Marshall and Mesa pricing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marshall and Mesa pricing

The hard part is resisting the impulse buy at the retail store or not being able to wait until a used amp comes along.
    Some of us are much better at resisting temptation.
    When I was younger, I bought many new guitars and amps and took a bath on everyone of them when it came time to sell them or trade them in. Nowadays, I wait, research and strike HARD AND FAST when I see a used piece of gear that I can play and enjoy and get rid of at no financial loss to me. I haven't lost too much money (if any at all) on the countless amount of guitars and amps I have been through in the last 3-5 years and by being smart and thinking before I am buying I have been able to turn my musical stock pile into almost all high end stuff and in the process been able to enjoy alot of really cool gear.
    Bottom line from your old pal Johnny G... be smart and resist an impulse buy on an amp unless you know for sure you can dump it and not take too much of a hit on it. Just because it sounded good at a gig you were at or at the music store doesn't mean it will work for you. Oh yea... most importantly.. never buy an amp because your guitar hero uses it. NEVER.

Comment

Certain Marshalls always will have a good re'sale value. Personally i don't know why, the JCM 2000 series which is considered the flag ship of the range, is terrible, the price just doesn't match the sound.
      93 USA Soloist EDS
      USA HT6 Juggernaut
      Charvel DK24FR

Comment

The Peavey Ultra Plus head ran around $600 and some change, then used $250-350, now $500+. I want one, but not for $500. Jack.

Comment

I bought my Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier for 1699 (or 1599 what the hell was it) brand new. All Mesa prices have to be the same, so it's whatever they were selling for 3 years ago. I didn't wait for a used one, because I had the extra money, and I found a Mesa that I liked the sound of.

Jg you know that Marshall I sent your way? Something special about it, it just has good tone, everything fell together right. It just seems that way with my Mesa, it's like everything is right where it needed to be, you know?

It's like a car that usually tests at 300hp on the Dynos, but it tests higher, because everything came together right.

The advantage to buying used? Save money, if you get a good deal, you can usually turn it around if you want. And you may find that one that sounds super sweet right off of the bat.

Tooling, not comparing Mesa to Fender/Gibson in terms of investment, is just pure sillyness. Some older Mark series amps are selling for tremendous amounts of money, and any of the Recs hold their value. Sure you may find someone who got a sweet deal, and that makes someone feel like crap for spending more, but the fact of the matter is quite a few Mesa and Marshall models, hold value.

Comment

I hear you Deneb on the Mesa/Gibson/Fender thing but only time will tell. I would bet my money that an original Mesa modified Fender would fetch not near the coin that an original Jim Marshall or Leo Fender amp would draw. Another analogy would be this....we obviously all here love our Jacksons/Charvels....in your wildest dreams do you believe ANY of them will reach the value or elusive status that a '59 Gibson enjoys...I won't personally bet on it. No matter what genre of music, no matter what age, no matter what skill level...Marshall and Fender DEFINE the music world basically because they were among the first just like Ford and Chevy. Amongst musicians Mesa is well known but outside of that....????? Ask your Grandmother or Grandfather if they have heard of the three names and see what TWO they come back with. This is definately straying from the point of this post in which I totally agree with...buy used and be patient for the right deal. Of all the amps I've owned...I have only lost money on every Mesa I've bought. Poor Jg tries to just lend some experience to help potential buyers out and this is what he gets....sorry Jg.

Comment

So far as HOLDING there value...I must agree that Mesa is a good choice if the proper one is selected. I wouldn't blink about buying a Single Rec. used for $800 knowing I could sell it for that 2 years from now so I guess you're right.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Can't forget Metal Church....AWESOME Tone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to derail at all but... I saw Metal Church about two weeks ago at a local club up in Everett and they were as bad ass as ever. They throw down one hell of a performance!

Comment

I would love to see them...never have, they have one of the best tones in metal IMHO. Could you see what they were using these days?

Comment

Working...
                  X