Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carvin Legacy.. Sounds like what??

Newbie here... Nice site...
    Anyway, been lookin to finally upgrade to a nice tube combo and was wondering about the Carvin Legacy..
    Have any of you heard this amp? Is it comparable to a Marshall or Mesa?
    I like the 80's Mesa stuff Like the SOB and rocket stuff and wouldn't mind that sound.
    However, it looks like Carvin packs alot of bells and whistles in that Legacy for the Money.

Any thoughts?

Re: Carvin Legacy.. Sounds like what??

carvin legacy is what vai mainly use's go download some, i bet someone else here who's more into vai could tell you what songs/albums he use's/used it on, good luck

Comment

Outstanding combo. Really outstanding. It does everything good. If you play death metal I would look at something else though. Carvin makes REALLY nice amps.

Comment

Sadly, I could not get a sound that I personally liked out of that unit. And I really tried.

A very good blues/classic rock amp IMO...

Comment

I read these things have a bias switch to chage out the power tubes.
          I read they come stock with EL 34's.. Have any of you tried other tubes besides the EL 34's in this unit?
          I guess I'm trying to get away from death metal tone and would prefer a more 70's classic rock tone at this point.
          ZZ Top or Boston comes to mind, maybe some Ted Nugent type tones..

Comment

ZZ Top and Ted Nugent seem like they would have a good possibility of being reproduced with that amp.

Boston, being a more processed distortion sound, would be easier gotten through a solid state type of distortion generator. Maybe a distortion pedal and that amp would be an appropriate concept.

70s classic rock would be quite nicely handled by that amp IMO.

Comment

You could definitely could get a classic rock sort of sound with the Legacy. If it had just a bit more gain I'd own that amp, it rocks.
              Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                ZZ Top and Ted Nugent seem like they would have a good possibility of being reproduced with that amp.

Boston, being a more processed distortion sound, would be easier gotten through a solid state type of distortion generator. Maybe a distortion pedal and that amp would be an appropriate concept.

70s classic rock would be quite nicely handled by that amp IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeh, vai does zz top covers with it without problems [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

go here for sound samples dude

http://www.carvin.com/vai/

Comment

the group Lit uses them, so listen to some of there music and you can also tell the tones to get out. From what i have herd they are very mid rangey amp.

Comment

All great suggestions guys.. I'm going to look into all of these options.

Comment

Here is mine....

Very nice amp. I've had it for a few months now. From what I can tell, very high quality and very well put together. The onboard distortion seems to be more in tune with classic hard rock and such. For my Death Metal sound I just run a Boss Metal Zone and EQ through the clean channel, then I gargle with razorblades and spit blood on the neighbors. But that's just me, results may vary.. [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

Comment

I just have to let you know that I have a Carvin SX200D that has been a very UNreliable amp. I had it fixed once under warranty by Carvin and once from a guitar shop after warranty. Carvin cut corners by using car stereo like components is what I've been told. I've also heard that their high end stuff is better though.

Comment

I have been using a Legacy head with a '74 Marshall 4x12 with greenbacks for 5 years as my main amp in a classic rock/blues cover band. I switched the EL34s for 6L6s also. IMO the Leagcay doesn't sound like anything. It is its own amp, although it is closer to a Marshall vibe than a Boogie on the OD. I guess you could describe the clean channel as a cross between a Boogie and Fender that doesn't really break up. I really like this amp. It took me a year of amp shopping, trying out everything I could get my hands on regardless of price before I bought it. Another amp that was a contender at the time was a '80s channel switching Hiwatt. I use the Legacy in a band where the other guitar player has a SLO-100 and for the style of music we are playing, the Legacy isn't embarassed. That said, if I had to "upgrade" from the Legacy the only amp I have heard so far that I like as much or better is the SLO, and that includes amps like a Bogner Extascy, VHT Pitbull 45, Rivera(forgot the model), 5151(funny thing, I think the Legacy does a better old VH than the 5151!), ANY Boogie, etc. For what its worth, before Jazzman got his SLO, he had a Deccatone. I wouldn't have traded the Legacy for the Deccatone if you paid me!

Comment

Hmmm.. Interesting reviews.. I'm still hunting as I have lock on the Legacy 212 combo for $650 any time.
                              I'm trying to stay away from half stacks as this is a bedroom rocker for me..
                              I've heard alot of stuff and owned a few too but it's hard to find just the right tone.

I also have a shot at a Vox Valvetronix 212 but have yet to hear one. I might test drive one today. I might just go at it and try everything I can get my hands on.

It just seemed to me the Legacy has alot of cool crap for the bread..The only problem is that I never heard one!

I might even look at old peveys too as I heard there are alot of old school jems that can ve had for pennies on the dollar of their original purchase price.

Comment

Working...
                              X