Talk about a big difference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk about a big difference

Since I bought this Laney AOR head a few months ago, I had been disappointed. I just wasn't getting the tone out of it that I wanted. I even had new Winged C output tubes put in, had it biased...the works. Still, it wasn't doing much for me. Then last week, I scored a very sweet deal on a Telefunken 12AX7 and put it in V1.

It just about took my head off. HUGE difference. That Telefunken redeemed the Laney.

Re: Talk about a big difference

Telefunkens aren't expensive for nothing. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Telefunkens have a very 'hifi' tone to them. It depends on the amp, but I personally dig Mullards. Phillips can sound good too, and of course old RCAs, GEs and TungSols among others. You might want to experiment with a few different preamp tubes - it's likely your amp sounded bad because that V1 tube was nearly dead.

Pete

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Telefunkens have a very 'hifi' tone to them. It depends on the amp, but I personally dig Mullards. Phillips can sound good too, and of course old RCAs, GEs and TungSols among others. You might want to experiment with a few different preamp tubes - it's likely your amp sounded bad because that V1 tube was nearly dead.

Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, Pete. I definitely will try a Mullard when I run across one. Oddly enough, my amp sounded decent when I had its old Phillips tubes in, but the tech also stuck a brand-new JJ in V1, and that's when it was at its worst. Right now, here's how it's set up: v1-NOS Telefunken, v2-NOS RCA, v3-same as v2, v4-NOS Sylvania.

Any suggestions about what might sound best?

Comment

Working...
        X