Marshall JCM2000 DSL review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall JCM2000 DSL review

I played through one for 3 hours last night. It was plugged into a Peavey 4 x 12 slant cab loaded with Sheffields.
    Here is what I used:
    Ibanez USRG20TP with a Steves Special and an Air Norton
    Ibanez DE7 delay in the effects loop
    Morley Bad Horsie 2 Countour wah in front of the amp.
    So... how does it sound?
    At low bedroom volumes it sounded great. At really WAY TO FUKKIN LOUD volumes it also sounded really nice.
    At typical 2 guitar loud and live band volume it sounded like mush.
    This amp has tons of gain. It absolutely sounds like a Marshall amp with a preamp or a SD-1 in front of it. It runs 5881's and you can tell in an instant. The clean channel is excellent.
    The lead channel cleans up REALLY nice when you roll of the volume on the guitar. I actually didn't even need to use the clean channel because of it. I think the cabinet had a little to do with the mush sound that the amp had at moderate loud volume.
    I am tossed on this amp but I guess I gotta give it the ok. It really cut through the mix, the clean channel is excellent, it sounds like a Marshall and it has tons of gain. With the proper EQ'ing and the proper speaker cabinet I would think that most of you guys would be pretty happy with it. It reminds me a little of my 2210. If you like the sound of a Mesa then STAY AWAY. This amp is 100% Marshall JCM sounding. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Re: Marshall JCM2000 DSL review

I didn't really think too much of these...I kinda like the tone but I can never get them gainy enough. Then one day at work I heard this guy playing some medium-overdrive John Frusciante style stuff with a Telecaster, and he was getting a GREAT sound...one of the best tones I've ever heard anyone get in a store before. It was awesome. Quinn Allman from the Used uses one live too, and when I saw them I thought he sounded great as well (using an SG and a Schecter custom, both with EMG pickups).

Comment

I think that guitar and pickup choice along with cabinet selection really makes a difference with this amp. I bet if I tried a guitar with a JB in it the sound would be clearer. I am going to give it another run next week with my Charvel with a JB in it. In regards to gain, I thought it had a ton of it. It was also pretty quiet at dimed out gain settings with the volume on 4-5. BTW... 4-5 on this amp is REALLY loud.

Comment

I agree...I like the DSL/TSL's which seems to be a departure from the norm....I LIKE THE MARSHALL TONE. I agree that amp sounds good at bedroom levels but reaches a thin graininess (sp?), at moderate levels. Crank it up and that is what the Marshall sound is all about...great tight evil voiced bottom end and midrange punch, I have found that if you EQ it properly and slightly adjust your technique accordingly..you can tame the high end w/ your fingers and pick attack. You should check it out w/ a straight Bogner cab w/ CL80's....just killer.

Comment

I had one here for a couple months. I threw a TON of different guitars and pickups and effects etc etc... and your mention of "Mush" pretty much describes that amp.

The only thing that surprised me was that this one didn't break like several of my friends units have.

I have seen quite a few bands locally here where one guitarist had a DSL or TSL, and the other had a MESA something or other, and the MESAs sounded better by far to these ears.

IMO, the bottom line is that there are TREMENDOUSLY better sounding and better built amps out there that are even sometimes cheaper. I love the old Marshall units like the 800s etc, especially when you find a "special" one. But the new stuff is really bumming me out.

Comment

I agree that there certainly are better amps out there in that price range. I can tell you one thing though. At the studio where we rehearsed there are 2 guitar amps. A Peavey XXL through a 4 x 12 Peavey cab with Sheffields and a Marshall DSL 2000 with the same Peavey cabinet and speakers. We jammed with 2 guitars doing metal, one stage left and the other stage right. The Marshall absolutely killed/murdered the Peavey in every respect. I was sort of diggin it for a while. I think that if I had crummy amps and I tried the DSL2000 I would be very impressed but I have some pretty nice amps so I am fairly difficult to impress. Sambencuda is coming over tonight and we are going to do a shootout between my Marshall JCM800 #2210 and his Mesa Single Rectifier. It's going to be brutal. Stay tuned for a full review.

Comment

I remember when those came out a few years back.. I got excited and bought into the hype and couldn't wait to test drive one.. What a dissapointment.. Pure mush. Ranks right up their with death-metal solid-state crap.

I think that is why you seen such a dramatic shift to Mesa. That Marshall is basically a single sounding tone and it happens to be sh!t.. Man did Marshall screw-up with that amp. Oops! [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img]

Comment

Never had a problem with the DSL 2000. Like the sound. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

I have a dsl 100 and have no serious complaints.I have had it for about 6 years now and haven't got rid of it but have thought about it but only due to bordom so I may send it off to trace at VooDoo and have it modded.I run it thru a pair of jcm900 cabs and run a different guitar thru it every time I play to keep me amused overall it sounds good .As far as the Mesa's every one I know who has a dual or triple rec want alittle of the sound I get and I would like to get some of what they get so that's a preferrence thing.what they don't like about the Marshall I like and vise-versa.the one thing we all pretty much agree on is the Peavey XXX kinda sucks.yes the dsl does sound muddy thru the Peavey cabs but thru marshall or mesa cabs (the smaller mesa 4x12's) it is a much clearer sound.hope this small chapter I just typed helps
                  www.myspace.com/goreality1

Comment

jg - I was wondering when you two were going to finally get together. How did it go?

Jim - How are you liking the Recto?
                    Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

We are getting together tonight weather permitting. I have the Marshall all ready for the shootout. It will be interesting for sure. I was jamming on the 2210 last night and I gotta tell ya, that Marshall kills.

Comment

I'll be there John! I've got 4 wheel drive. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Can't wait to put them together and do a side by side. The Recto sounds Killer. It does metal and it does well. Really well! I also know first hand how good that 2210 sounds.

Full review to come!

See ya tonight John!
                        "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

Cool Jim... Single Recto's KILL. I am kind of diggin that Randall RG100SC combo. $250.00 is a screamin deal for a gig worthy combo. If it was a G2 I am sure it would have been snapped up in a nanosecond. It must sound great with Celestions. Randall gain is really excellent sounding.

Comment

Yeah, I bought it new, as a close out after the G2's came out. For a solid state amp, it has killer gain. It's a great 80's metal amp, but the vintage gain is not that bad either. with a decent strat, you can get some decent tones out of it. See ya tonight!
                            "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

This amp can't be compared to a MEsa Wahtever, It's a TOTALLY different sound ( JOhn) HAHHA!

It does sound muddy through a Peavy cab with Sheffields in it , my brother has that cab and I think that those speakers were only desingned for the 5150.

I run it with Vintage 30's and at bedroom levels it sucks, but open it up to about 3 or 4, which is VERY loud, it starts to clear up a lot.

The second lead channel has a lot of gain, but has too much of a midragny sound for me. I use the 1st lead mode and that has all the gain that I need for what I do. The only stuff my band did that it didn't cover well was DIsturbed and Godsmack, it just isn't made for that kind of a sound.

I had to put in JJ preamp tubes to tame the high end of it though.

I know a LOT of guys who try this thing out in the store or whatever and it has HORRIBLE stock tubes in it.

I'm posting a thread about my amp for anyone who wants to check it out See amp ?
                              Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

Working...
                              X