changing tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changing tubes

i was just wondering if you guys leave your amps Unplugged for a few days before changing tubes? i read in some amp repair book that they can retain a dangerous voltage for up to several days, ive changed my tubes once already but i was just wondering if theres any truth to this Mumbo Jumbo..?

Re: changing tubes

there is power stored in the one of the componets but it isn't the tubes.

pete (twisteramps) would know the details.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Re: changing tubes

Capacitors store power

Comment

Re: changing tubesp

pjg is right. They can store a charge for quite awhile, and the big filter caps can really hold lots of juice. If you're changing tubes, you don't need to worry about the caps...just make sure it's unplugged. You need to worry about the caps if you're monkeying around in the chassis.

I've never discharged a cap before, but Richie Fleigler's books suggest using a screwdriver with an insulated handle to short the cap to the chassis. There are other methods involving alligator clips, but I don't know much about them.

Comment

Yeah, you shouldn't worry about them as long as you're not messing around with the chassis.
          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

well incase i feel like Monkeying around i will be sure to put on my rubber gloves [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

And use "protection" for good measure! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Tubes are safe to grab, just dont mess with the socket pins incase there is some voltage in the capacitors (which store voltage).

Most good amp designs have a 'bleeder resistor' in series with the power circuit to run the voltage out of the capacitors when the power is killed (so the repair guy isnt). The only production amp I have EVER worked on that stored scary voltage after the power was off is a Laney AOR 50 head. This is my personal amp, and retains over 200 volts long after it is unplugged.
                If you dont know what you are doing, dont mess with a tube amps insides. Many of them have operational voltages around 500 volts DC. Any EE or electrician will tell you to respect any voltage over 12 volts.

More voltage than that and enough current can kill you (not to bring everyone down).

Comment

Working...
                X