Killer Mesa Cab- Should i buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Killer Mesa Cab- Should i buy?

found a 2x12 mesa cab with vintage 30s that is shaped like a floor monitor for $300. ive never seen one of these and thought it would be cool. looking for any suggestions mainly on verification and price.

chris

Re: Killer Mesa Cab- Should i buy?

How deep is it compared to the standard Mesa Recto 2x12? That's what I have, and it sounds amazing. Is it within driving range? I'd be curious to know what it sounds like.

Comment

maybe i should specify its like a wedge monitor, id estimate 6-9 inches in front to like 18 inches in the back (speakers facing you). its in my city so i will try it out, but i was wondering about price first so i was more sure id buy it before going through the hassle of getting it all plugged up in the store.

chris

Comment

I bought a gently used Mesa 1X12 cab Saturday at GC for $250. It has the exact recto tone as if I disabled 3 of the speakers in my 4X12 recto cab. Loud for a 1X12 too! (overdrive it and it farts out, can't be good for the cab)

Nevertheless, I will return it for a 2X12 recto cab. I must get over the drums in practice. Drummer plus other guitar makes me need at least 2X12.

Comment

They are pretty rare as I don't see them often.
          John Petrucci used to use them as monitors.

Comment

i wish i could get some more input on this. it looks nice and used but i think a recover wouldnt be too big a deal. im sure i could get my mom to think it would be fun to cover my cab in some crazy colored vinyl.

chris

Comment

I remember seeing one in one of my old Mesa catalogs...they made bass ones too.

Comment

They are rare cabs. From what I was told by my mesa rep they don't sound as good as a regular 2x12 since they were designed to be a guitar only stage monitor. If that's what you need, there's nothing better. However, for an all-purpose cab, it *may* not be up to the task.

I've never heard one, but I did inquire about them several years ago. So I'm just relaying what was told to me, YMMV.
                ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

Matt who's your Mesa rep?

Comment

i was just gonna gook it up to one of the 4 outputs of my peavey classic to have a cab pointed right at me!

chris

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Matt who's your Mesa rep?

[/ QUOTE ]

At that time it was John Marshall or maybe even Sean Bersford, it's now Michael Taylor. They seem to switch Artist Reps ever year or so.
                      ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

if you are using it as a monitor then it will work for you. I believe its in a 96 catalog that I have. You don't see too many of them around, willing to bet they weren't too popular. I'd rather have the full size 2x12 recto tho [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                        shawnlutz.com

Comment

They were designed as stage monitors, so you're not gonna be as impressed with it as you would be with a std 2X12 vertical or horizontal Recto.
                          RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
                          RIP Dime

Comment

i was gonna use it for monitioring purposes so i imagine ill pick it up if nothing else catches my eye. my main question though was if it is a decent deal.

chris

Comment

I went over to guitar center yesterday and they had a used 2+12 recto cab. They were asking $300 for it. it was in decent shape could use a recover but worked fine. I think that you would be better off buying a 2+12 recto cab and just pointing that towards you, instead of a monitor. Atleast you could use the recto cab for other stuff. Just my .2

Comment

Working...
                              X