Clear All

Re: Cabinet shopping: Soldano vs. 5150 vs. Jackson

[ QUOTE ]
    President's Day sale at local GC; looked at used 4x12 cabs:

5150 II in good shape, $599
    Jackson cab, yukky black carpet with cat hairs all over it, $219
    Soldano cab, some tears in tolex, $429
    There were several Framus cabs also, but they weren't on sale at $699 each

I didn't have my own Marshall 4210 on me. I will use it as a head (it is modded with an extra 12ax7). So in the store I tried the Jackson & Soldano cabs, using a JCM900 combo as a head, and A-B'd it with a Framus Cobra head (tagged at $1699). The Jackson was pretty weak & thin-sounding, although that price was pretty good. The Soldano sounded lots better, so I had them hold it for me.

So, is that a good price? And is that a good choice? Most of you know what types of metal / tones I like. I notice the Soldano is a bit smaller than usual 4x12s. I was actually looking for a 2x12 cab in the $200-300 range.
    Comments?

[/ QUOTE ]

Racer,

The soldano will probaly be the best built and that is a fair price. The 5150 you can get alot cheaper off ebay, usually about $400 shipped. I do not know about the jackson cabs at all! The 5150 is good but has a farting problem which is fix by putting in a center screw which means you also have to install a bar between the front and back, unless they started making them with the bar now! I would defintly check out ebay, you can get almost any cab about 50% cheaper then GC. Oh yeah also do not be afraid to try to GC down, i am sure you can get them to knock off 25 dollars on that soldano at least, maybe even a bit more.

Comment

I have never tried a Jackson cab...Every time I have tried both a Soldano or 5150 cab, I have not liked them. At the price of the Soldano or 5150 you are looking at you are real close to the price of a brand new Carvin Legacy cab with V30s. They are real nice cabs. I still prefer the rear load Marshall, but I could live with the Legacy cab. The front load seems to be a little brighter...

Comment

there not the prettiest cabs, but i have herd good things about them. http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

Comment

Id go with the Soldano cab. For that price , they are very hard to beat.

Comment

Working...
          X