Amp ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp ?

I never had any problems with my DSL50 for 2 years until my friend dropped it big time on the cement.

So I had my amp guy fix it and he did a bunch of whatever to it, and now instead of having a realy great distorted sound, it has an AWESOME clean kind of distortion to it

The best way for me to describe it is this, If you think VH 1, then you know EVH had a more distorted sound than on VH II.

Well now my amp is nailing the Van Halen II album tone as far as the Rytyms, but leads don't have that singing sustain type distortion to them any more.

Before the leads had that, but chords did not sound anywhere near as good as they do now.

Did Eddie use anything differnt on his lead sounds than the Rytyhm sounds.

Is this a normal thing that I'm describing, I mean I know I could switch modes and get the leads to sound like I want on the second channel, but it isn't footswitchable.

Witht the Rytyhm being such a clean type overdrive is it normal that the leads really need something to give them some sustain and saturation? I hope this doesn't sound ridiculous, but I don't know how else to explain it.
    Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Re: Amp ?

Nice thread title [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Yep ,Amp ? pretty much sums up the thread.
      Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Nice thread title [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was gonna say the exact same thing Ron...but I had better things to do..like pick my nose. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Yep ,Amp ? pretty much sums up the thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

And now you see how many useful answers your title has brought in! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

If you don't have an informative answer for him, why bother posting? Oh wait, I don't have an answer either, as I've never played that amp. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'll try to be helpful.

I *think* that the amp may have been biased cold from the factory, and the muddiness and harmonic sustain you were experiencing before were from crossover distortion created by the voltage bias being set too low. Lots of manufacturers bias their amps cold from the factory, so they dont run so hot, and have less chances of having a failure somewhere within the amp.

Your amp tech probably adjusted the bias somewhere closer to the correct voltage, which in turn "tightened" up your sound, making all the notes stand out (those cleanly distorted chords you were talking about).

I'm FAR from an amp expert, so I'm not entirely sure if my answer has any bearing on reality or not [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

You have a 2-channel DSL50 that's NOT footswitchable? I'm confused...
                  Setting aside my confusion, you have a nice rhythm distortion now but not the lead sound you want... try an SD-1 or Tube Screamer in front for your solos.
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    If you don't have an informative answer for him, why bother posting? Oh wait, I don't have an answer either, as I've never played that amp. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's all Ron's fault. I wasn't even gonna open the thread, and then I saw that Ron had replied, so I figured I would take a look. Then of course I couldn't just stand by quietly and watch the train wreck. I had to cheer it on! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Man, Ron was so pissed at the thread title, he didn't even bother to correct the absolute butchering of the word "rhythm."
                      -------------------------
                      Blank yo!

Comment

Heh, I have problems with that one myself! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

I ALWAYS have to check that one myself as well! hehe... Especially if I think Ron might be around...

Comment

nice to see 2 somewhat helpful responses out of 12, no, make that 13 posts in this thread. Too fargin' funny! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

Well, "DSL50 Distortion Issues" might've been a better thread title to draw specific responses. "Amp?" in the Amps and Effects section is like listing your San Dimas on Ebay as "Electric Guitar" and wondering why you don't get more top bids.
                              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X