No announcement yet.

Mesa Single vs Marshall 2210 Shootout!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Single vs Marshall 2210 Shootout!!

Hey bro's....... Jim (Sambencuda) and myself got together and did a shootout with 2 very popular rock/metal amps manufactured by the 2 most popular amps makers.
    Amp 1 2 channel Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier Solo Head
    Amp 2 1987 Marshall JCM800 #2210 Head.
    Cabinet used was a Randall 2 x 12 closed back loaded with Altec Lansing 300w Whiteframes and set to 8 ohms.
    Guitars used:
    1995 Charvel San Dimas Reissue loaded with Dimarzio Evolution and a Super 3
    2004 Jackson Soloist loaded with an EMG 81 and an 85 running at 18volts.
    We went into this both loving Rectifiers and high gain Marshall tones. We are both 80's metal rockers so that should explain what type of gain and tone we both look for in an amp.
    I am gonna give you exactly what my ears told me.

Volume: Both of these amps are extremely loud and could easily handle most if not any gig situation.

Clean Channel: The Mesa SMOKES the Marshall on the clean channel. I know that the Marshall is not known for a good clean channel but I can easily say that the Mesa clean channel is fantastic. Clear, liquidy, articulate, tons of headroom. It's so good that I would recommend it to a player only looking for a clean channel. When the Mesa clean channel is switched to the PUSHED setting you could get a blues tone that sounds great. The clean channel mixed much better with the Vintage setting on the Lead channel rather than the Modern setting.

Lead Channel: The Mesa has more gain than the Marshall in both the Vintage and the Modern settings.
    Lets get deeper:
    Mesa Lead Channel Vintage Setting: We dialed in all kinds of settings. If you want a VERY convincing high gain Marshall JCM800 tone you could get it with these settings
    Presence 10
    Bass 4
    Midrange 10
    Treble 10
    Gain 8
    Mesa Lead Channel Modern Setting:
    This is your typical Mesa Rectifier tone. Sizzly, tons of gain, huge bottom. By adjusting the presence and the midrange controls you could get a variety of useable super heavy metal tones.
    Marshall Clean Channel: This is a split channel head so technically it isn't really a seperate clean channel but rather a toned down version of the lead channel. IMHO, this is a good thing. Sure, it ain't too clean but it does blend perfectly with the lead channel when you are switching channels. This is a very useful live feature. The clean channel sounds more like you rolled down the volume on your guitar rather than switched channels. I like that alot.
    The Mesa clean channel kills the Marshall in every respect except for that one.
    Marshall Lead Channel: In 2 words. Marshall tone.
    Dial down the gain and it sounds like a Marshall. Adjust the EQ and scoop the mids and bring up the bass and it sounds like a Marshall. It is an articulate solo players amp. The notes ring out and are very clear. It has the Marshall typical crunch that is instantly recognizable. Unlike the Mesa, the Marshall really only gets 1 type of tone for metal or hard rock. The Mesa on the other hand could handle Marshall tones and Mesa tones. The EQ section isn't active like the Mesa so it is easier to use although less reactive and tweakable. The clear winner IMHO is the Mesa because it has:
    1. Btter clean channel (it is outstanding and worth the price of the amp alone)
    2. Better lead channel because it has the ability to go from Marshall to Mesa with the proper onboard tweaking.
    3. It has a footswitchable solo boost which technically turns it into a 4 channel amp.
    Features:
    The Mesa has a parallel tube driven effects loop that is fully adjustable. This is a really nice feature.
    The Marshall has a normal effects loop that is functional but not adjustable.
    The Marshall has reverb which is very nice.

Both amps are crazy loud. Lets review the amps at different volume settings:

Bedroom Lead Channel level: Both amps sound fantastic at whisper quiet bedroom volumes.

Practice Lead Channel level: Ditto

Live and loud Lead Channel level: The Mesa gets louder quicker when adjusting the master volume. The Marshall takes longer to get louder but when it does.. holy crap. Keep in mind that the Marshall is 100w and the Mesa is 50w
    Both of these amps are plenty loud for anbody. They both sound better the louder you turn them up. The Marshall gets better as it gets louder. The great Mesa tone just gets louder.

Bedroom level clean channel: The Mesa smokes the Marshall in this department. The Marshall is useless in this setting.

Practice Lead Level: The Mesa is much better but the Marshall is still functional.

Live and loud Clean Channel level: The Mesa is much better overall but the Marshall gets catches up the more you turn it up.

So.. who won?

Features: Tie. Both amps have all the features you need.
    Clean Channel: Mesa
    Lead Channel: Mesa
    Versatility for both rock and metal: Mesa
    Note Articulation and Clarity when soloing: Marshall
    Palm Muting and chord chunk: Mesa
    Tweakability: Mesa
    Overall Metal Vibe: Tie.
    If I had to choose only 1: Mesa
    Results: The Mesa Single Rectifier can do it all. Clean, Rock, Marshall and Mesa tone and tweakable for days.
    I believe that most Mesa Single Rectifier players don't spend enough time exploring what the amp has to offer. They just set the amp to modern, dial up an average stetting and let it rip. Jim and I spend several hours tweaking the Mesa on every setting imaginable. We were able to dial up practically any metal or rock tone we wanted. The Vintage Lead channel is especially tweakable and probably the best (rarely explored) feature of this amp.

I am not going to gush over my Marshall #2210. It happens to have the tone I love and always have but I have to admit that the Mesa wins this shootout with a TKO in the 4th round. [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Re: Mesa Single vs Marshall 2210 Shootout!!

I thought your 2210 was modified?

Cool to hear about the single recto. If I was to get another Mesa amp that would be my choice for right now
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Interesting results considering you're "80's rockers". I had a Dual Rec for awhile but I sold it. I'll stick with my Marshalls, they just seem better for the stuff I like to play (Dokken, AC/DC, Metallica, Rhoads)

Comment

First off, a big thanks to John for hosting the Thursday night amp fights! John is wicked smart about amps and gear in general and I could never have gotten this deep into tone and amp settings without him. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

John hit it on the head. The Single Rectifier is more versatile, but the Marshall 2210 is still a killer amp. That has to be the best sounding JCM 800 I have ever heard.

I originally told John when I got the Rectifier that I didn't like the vintage setting, but like he said above, I flipped the switch, played for 5 minutes and then switched it back to modern. I was amazed at how close it got to the Marshall tone. It's still not a 2210 JCM 800, but it was pretty damn close. I'm sure a die hard Marshall fan would argue that and rightfully so, but I'm not a die hard Marshall fan. The bottom line is the Marshall could not do a Rectifier tone, but the Rectifier could get real close to a Marshall tone.

When got the Recto, I liked it immediately. Couldn't get over the gain and tone of it. Now, I really like it. I don't think I would ever use anything else.

For me, the benefit of doing this was to see which amp would suite you better if you liked both, but were undecided on which to get. The Rectifier wins hands down, but only due to versatility. As I have said before, the only true solution is to buy both! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks again John!
        "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

nice review. did you go back and forth between tube distortion and diode distortion on the mesa?
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Very useful review. Thank you for posting this.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              nice review. did you go back and forth between tube distortion and diode distortion on the mesa?

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean? The only toggle switchable settings on this Recto were Clean/Pushed and Vintage/Modern.
              I didn't see a switch on the back like the Dual Rectifiers have for silicon diodes. It also doesn't have the spongy/bold switch. It is actually a pretty simple straight forward amp.

Comment

Jg, I think this shootout you did is great. I'm also glad your buddy heard the 2210, and thinks it sounds great. Something about that Marshall was sweet. Notes rang out clear, and it had an awesome tone.

People, don't get scared thinking Marshall 800s aren't as good as Mesa's, many people who have a certain tone are using 800s, and pretty much living in that tone, if it ain't broke why fix it?

Also, a great comparison I think would be to take and put EL34s in your Mesa, and comparing them to the Marshall. (not sure if the singles have this feature, but the triple you can swap out the tubes for a different type and a flip of the Bias switch.

Comment

Good point Deneb. We were talking about EL34's in the Mesa but it isn't possible on a Single.

Comment

Cool post.
                    Did you run into any headroom issues on the single's clean channel or does it stay clean all the way up?

Comment

It stayed clean all the way up. You have to make sure the gain control is barely on but the amp is so loud that you can boost up the volume only and it stays wicked clean. Keep in mind that it was really clean and we were using humbuckers.

Comment

"Good point Deneb. We were talking about EL34's in the Mesa but it isn't possible on a Single."

Another point is that there is a bias switch on the newer Single Recitifiers. Mine is a little older.

The clean is probably one of the most underrated features of the Rectifiers. The last time I was at John's I thought the 2210 had a decent clean sound. Noisy, but not bad compared to a 2205 I used to own. Next to the rectifier, there is no comparison.

Comment

What's a good price for the Mesa Single (Used)?

Comment

They've been going for around 850 - 1000 on eBay. If you hold out, you can get one in the 800 range. Money well spent.

Comment

The single has speaker out for 8ohm & 2 4ohm outs. So it would not be compatable with a 16ohm cab?

Comment

Working...
                              X