No announcement yet.

Mesa Single vs Marshall 2210 Shootout!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mesa Single vs Marshall 2210 Shootout!!

It has outputs for 16, 8 and 4 ohms.

Comment

Thanks bud...
      I was looking at one on the bay here is the pic. You can see why I was asking about the ohm [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

You guys are killing me! I miss my amp! [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

That's cool that you guys were able to get together and do this, there's some good info here for people considering either of these amps. From what I remember, there isn't the "bold/spongy" switch on the single and I don't think you can use EL34s. The Single from this comparision I sold to Jim is a series 1. I just hope when I get an amp again if it is a Single Recto that it sounds as good as this one.
        Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

I know John. I think of you every time I post about it. I think if you ever were to pick one up again, you'd be happy. I think most Boogies are really consistant amps.
          "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

The singles are the best of the Mesa's IMHO, the MK series are a love/hate relationship with me. . I had a series 2 single and could switch from 6L6's to EL34's with the filck of a switch...I guess the series 1 can not....cool review. The vintage lead channel is the best that amp has to offer in my opinion...I could not stand the modern lead channel and rarely play clean so truthfully I can't remember and don't really know what to listen for in a clean tone other than whether I simply do or do not like it...the VHT UL's clean is the only one that stands out as being one I really liked. jg...didn't you get a Mesa reverb switch from me at some point...if so how are you using it w/ your Marshall?

Comment

Cool stuff to read. Do you guys have any suggested settings for lead playing on the vintage channel? I'm looking for a good 80's type lead tone ala Jake E. Lee and Zakk. I have the modern/rhythm channel pretty much dialed now thanks to my new Recto standard cab. This cab makes my Dual Recto sound ten times better than when I was using a Marshall 1960a cab.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Cool stuff to read. Do you guys have any suggested settings for lead playing on the vintage channel? I'm looking for a good 80's type lead tone ala Jake E. Lee and Zakk. I have the modern/rhythm channel pretty much dialed now thanks to my new Recto standard cab. This cab makes my Dual Recto sound ten times better than when I was using a Marshall 1960a cab.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mesa Lead Channel Vintage Setting: We dialed in all kinds of settings. If you want a VERY convincing high gain Marshall JCM800 tone you could get it with these settings
                Presence 10
                Bass 4
                Midrange 10
                Treble 10
                Gain 8

Comment

Great reviews!
                  I would love to try a Mesa Single Rect.
                  [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

jgcable ... You mentioned one of the benefits of the Marshall was the reverb... of course, the Rectoverb is nothing more than a Single with reverb, so that would score one more for the Mesa. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                    My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

Yes. I have yet to try a Rectoverb.

Comment

Nice shootout.

I think it all comes down to what you need to play. Myself, I'm a Marshall guy. I buy a POD XT, and all I do is tweak 72 different amps to try and get a Marshall sound. I have trouble with amps that give you too many sounds. I played a Fuchs ODS the other day - great amp, fantastic tone, but every time you turned a knob or flipped a switch the sound changed.

Amps with features like the Mesa or the Fuchs offer a lot if you like getting different sounds. Me - I'm too old and dumb to deal with that, so I'd take the Marshall.
                        -------------------------
                        Blank yo!

Comment

I hear you. My opinion is somewhat jaded because my current tone requirements force me to have both a Marshall and a Mesa sound along with a killer clean channel. If I only needed a Marshall tone I would go with a 2210 but If I needed both Marshall and Mesa and I didn't need to be 100% accurate I would go with the Mesa. Its just more versatile. I think that is a pretty bold statement considering that most Mesa Rectifier players are only looking for the Rectifier tone. The Single Rectifier is more than that and Jim and I proved it to ourselves.
                          I like all kinds of amps, modelers included. Most good amps are... well... good! There are plenty of crap amps out there but most of the members of this board have good taste.

Comment

Great review. I was contemplating picking up a single or double recto. This review is going to make me run out and try out some Boogies very soon. They sound like great amps. Thanks.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              nice review. did you go back and forth between tube distortion and diode distortion on the mesa?

[/ QUOTE ]

The single rec's do not have rectifier tubes like there bigger brothers. I have a dual 3 Channel and i tell you the sounds i can get out of that are amazing. I also have a road king, so many options on that, but my problem is it is more refined then the dual and i tend to like the dual better. I am really considering selling my road king head!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                Great review. I was contemplating picking up a single or double recto. This review is going to make me run out and try out some Boogies very soon. They sound like great amps. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are great amps, just remember when you get one to not treat it like a marshall. You have to tweak and know that this does not act like a marshall at all. Do not cut the mids out!

Comment

Working...
                                X