Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How destructive is adding an FX loop to an amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How destructive is adding an FX loop to an amp?

I have a single channel Marshall 4010 combo and am considering adding an effects loop. Can this be done without significantly (irreversibly) altering the amp?

What is actually involved?
    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Re: How destructive is adding an FX loop to an amp?

They would have to drill 2 holes 1 for the send and 1 for the return jacks. And also drill a hole for the knob for the level.

Comment

If there is going to be a knob for the effects loop level,don't they also need to add a tube for the loop ?

Comment

Yea your right. I was only talking about what you will see on the outside of the amp.

Comment

I was actually more worried about what would be done to the inside and a little about the chassis.

I was thinking a piece of angle Iron could be used to mount the in/out and level inside the combo, but if there has to be a tube added, then you'd have to cut up the chassis fairly seriously. Then reroute a bit of wiring. I was hoping it would be a little less 'permanent' than what you guys are laying out there. Even though the amp is beat, I don't really want to cut it up.

I don't HAVE to have a loop, just thought it would be nice to get some delay. I'm not overly happy with delay in front of the amp.
          When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

with sooo many amp options out there, why not just get a different amp? those kind of mods can get expensive, and could (note i said could) change the sound of your amp.
            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Re: How destructive is adding an FX loop to an amp

There are some nice opamp solutions for the send/return on an FX loop, and all tube... Or you can just find a good spot to splice a send/return set of jacks into the amp and hope it works ok with your gear. Most of the active fx loops (whether tube or op amp driven) are to make sure that it matches level-wise with the output of your effects. For example, a bunch of pedals is going to require different levels than rack mount. Plus if it's active you can run a parallel/series switch, send/return levels, +4/-20db switch, etc.

Oh yeah, and adding any type of effects loop is going to affect your tone to some degree, even if it's passive. Adding a length of wire and jacks is going to add capacitance and loss in the circuit no matter what.

Pete

Comment

Re: How destructive is adding an FX loop to an amp

If you get it done by someone who knows what they are doing, it shouldnt change the sound much.

Comment

Working...
                X