Having trouble dialing in good tone in shops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having trouble dialing in good tone in shops

I'm no amp guru by any means. But when I play a guitar through an amp at a music store, I cannot dial in a good tone to save my life. I thought trying out a Marshall MG50 would sound very similar to my own Marshall G50RCD, but I couldn't get it to sound like mine. I tried the Mesa F30 and Mesa Mark I and still couldn't get a good tone. Even my brother said the tone sucked.

Would it be because I'm playing at "considerate" volume levels as not to disturb the other shoppers? Do I really have to crank these amps (to the chagrin of the shopkeepers and customers) to make them sound good?

Or did I just happen to score a seemingly non-existent killer Marshall G50RCD four years ago when I started playing? I can always dial in a huge tone with that amp at any volume level, although I typically only play at rehearsal/jamming levels or lower. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Thus, I haven't had the courage to try many amps in stores, especially not a halfstack or fullstack. Thus, I don't know if saying that "all new Marshalls suck" is true or not, because I apparently found one that is just so ME, and it was my first amp!

I still don't know why my bottom of the line Marshall combo sounds so wicked. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] And I don't know why I can't even get a Mesa F30 and Mesa Mark I, both supposedly killer amps, to sound good, whether I'm trying to copy my Marshall tone or not!

Frustrated. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Re: Having trouble dialing in good tone in shops

Don't feel bad - every Marshall "killer amp" I've tried in a store with my Les Paul Standard sounded brittle and farty - from the small combos to the 4x12 with 100W head.
    My used Fender RocPro sounded better through the same cabinet and same guitar, which is why I bought it. Sounds even better through a Carvin VE212 cabinet.

I don't know how anyone can make a Marshall sound good, but I've seen them do it. Can't explain it, though.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

You are probably used to hear your amp sound at the same level of volume you set so others sound strange to your ears.
      Also, when you are playing at home(in your room) and playing at Music Store, it will sound different just like I play my amp in my room and in the living room(much bigger than my room) would sound very different.
      I take my amp to my work where I have a very high roof and it gives a lot of echo/reverb type sound to it and makes it easy to play.

Probably the best thing you shoudl do is to bring your own amp to the store and compare to see how these will sound.
      Or bring one of your friend's amps to your home and compare them.
      [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

1more thing to add, I recently sold my amp head(100watt),4x12s and VHT combo now I am using a $60 15watt Behringer combo(8" speaker) until I get my new amp and cab.
        I actually like it because it is easy to crank it up and get it maxed out to get some nice feedback.

Comment

Boogies are a pain to get a good tone with, but worth the time. Unlike the old Marshalls I used to play (which I Loved), the Boogie tone controls do have more of an effect on the sound. Any bass over 4 or 6 on one of those, and you are looking to have it fart out.
          If you really want to open it up and crank it, see if they have a loud room in the store.. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

also mark 1 boogies, only really distort much when cranked, they are made to be cranked! I thought the f series were shit as well

Comment

yeh i spent ages with a mark 3 boogie, spent about 2 hours playing on it, and didnt even realise it had knobs on the back as well........o well

Comment

Don't worry about it. The problem is that the majority of amps in stores, quite frankly, plain old suck.

Comment

Okay, I just realized another thing about this frustration I'm experiencing. I turn the amp's controls and it almost sounds like NOTHING is happening, ESPECIALLY the bass/mid/treble controls! [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I'm trying to sculpt sounds, yet I can't! I guess I'll try the soundproof room next time. My brother always seems to get good results playing various basses and amps in there. Not sure why I haven't tried that yet. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                  X