Finally Found the Sound!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally Found the Sound!

After seriously farting around with different amps and effects over the last 10 years trying to get the tone I finally figured it out for my equipment.

I had Mesa, Marshall and now Framus.

What a pain in the ass it has been! But how kick ass it feels to finally have gotten it.

Turns out I had my treble too high and mids and bass too low.

So what I have is a Framus Cobra with an Ibanez SDR 1000+ reverb delay unit - a double chip stereo unit. You can get them for $100 - $125 and it is a great unit. Can't beat them for the money. They are from the 80's.

Thats all I use. I like to get tone with my fingers not my processor. Too much compression and other effects and you lose tone dynamics. Its harder to learn to play without a lot of effects but once you learn how to get tone with your fingers and technique you will have that professional sound to your playing. And you will be able to get the tone out of your guitar instead of a $3000 Eventide doing it all for you.

the Framus is a serious high gain boutique amp and I use the second of 3 channels most of the time. The third channel is insane high gain.

Anyway, I have bass at 10, mids at 9.5 and treble at .8 - not 8 but .8 as in less than 1.
    I actually was browsing and saw how Michael Schenker had his amp settings and tried it and it worked!

Can't believe it. This setting just rocks. Still getting harmonics and great treble sounds. Everything sounds more musical and smooth. No scratchiness and no excess string noise anymore. Just killer professional sound.

God - took me 10 years to finally get the sound I was looking for - I'd be pissed if I wasn't so happy.
    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Re: Finally Found the Sound!

Very cool... You've found nirvana [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

joe...
    www.godwentpunk.com
    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

treb off and pres off + vol loud = good tone

glad you see the light.

(disclaimer: presence on some amps may very)
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Damn, I was getting frustrated after not being able to find my tone after 5 years of playing. I see having a little patience pays off. Cool man, any way you can post some clips?

Comment

Its all about the midrange.

Comment

Kick ass man..

just hope you don't change your mind by..hmmmmmmmmm

Next week...

that always happends ya know.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Kick ass man..

just hope you don't change your mind by..hmmmmmmmmm

Next week...

that always happends ya know.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. Once I find something I like I stick with it - especially since it took me so long to finally figure it out.

Sounds too friggin' good to change it anyway. I have tried many settings before finding it.
              PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Damn, I was getting frustrated after not being able to find my tone after 5 years of playing. I see having a little patience pays off. Cool man, any way you can post some clips?

[/ QUOTE ]

Search this forum for Framus and you will find an old post under Shredmonster.

Click on the post and scroll down. There is a site with some clips.

I can't personally post because I don't have an MP3 site that I am paying to store stuff on.
                PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

I actually know the clip. Very cool tone, didn't know if it was the same setup your talkin bout now. Your playin kicks ass too [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Cool. Another Framus fanatic. I love mine too.

Comment

That is good news! How did you do it? By accident? Experimentation? I love happy endings.

Comment

Congrats!! Sounding the best you can helps you play the best you can!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Cool. Another Framus fanatic. I love mine too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a friend tell me how good they were and did a little reaserch.

Then I purchased one without ever trying it out since I had heard they were killer amps.

I had mine rebiased when it blew a fuse so its hotter now which made it cleaner sounding.

Yeah, its just a killer amp. Its about as good as it gets. The only amp that may be better would be a $4K Diezel but I have never heard a Deizel live. Read lots about them.

I got the Framus for $1000 - $1100. I just love it so why get anything else I figure.
                          PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

I honestly think that what frustrates a lot of people, is that your ears change, the environment changes, humidity changes, etc. Everything can affect the tone of your amp, the speakers, your ears, etc. You mess around with EQ settings for hours on end, find what you think is your sound, and you come back the next day, and it sounds like pure unadulterated garbage. I used to do that. I'd mess with my amp for hours, get a good sound, and write down my settings. God forbid anyone should touch my amp.

I have now learned that my midrange knob does not have to be pointing exactly at 5-1/2 degrees from top dead centre. Instead I have learned to make quick adjustments, and not be too picky.
                            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              That is good news! How did you do it? By accident? Experimentation? I love happy endings.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you read above I happened accross how Michael Schenker set his amp and he has killer tone. Some of the best tone I have heard in my opinion.

So I set my amp accordingly. I would have never dialed the amp in on my own that way because I figured it would take all the harmonics, nuances etc... out by turning the treble way down.

I just can't believe how good it sounds. I have a friend who has killer tone on his amps. I was wondering how he did it. I could never manage to get those sounds out of the amps I was using. Now I know.

With the treble high and mids set very low I was getting all kinds of eroneous noises. I can control my sound a lot more now with my fingers and those noises are cut out of there.

I'm still kind of in shock that the amp is set this way and sounds so good.

When I first got the amp is was set this way. I thought the guy was crazy. I didn't even try those settings. I immediately turned the treble way up and mids way down the way I had always set an amp in the past before even plugging in and playing it the very first time.

So now I have a very dynamic sound where I can get all kinds of nuances, harmonics and cool sounds utilizing my left hand during slides, bends, vibrato, pinch harmonics and by changing the angle and pressure of my picking hand.

My girlfriend tells me the sound is going through the entire place now though. hehehehehe......
                              [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                              PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X