Peavey VTMs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey VTMs

I remember talk about them awhile back, but a search going didn't give me much (and yes I changed the default time frame). Price is right, and I want a complement my Fender hot rod deville. Supposed to be just JCM800 copies right? I want metal, and the JCM800 seems like it would go as far as I need it to, but I don't want to spend that kind of money. Good (cheap) cab suggestions that would match it would be appreciated, too. Thanks.

Re: Peavey VTMs

I had a VTM60 that sounded great. The did very well at replicating a JCM800, but side by side, you could tell the difference. I imagine the VTM120 did more for tone than the 60. The only thing I didn't like about it was the little switches under the cover plate on the front panel. I guess this was an attempt to make the user feel as though he was making a "mod" because he had to remove two screws to get to them.

I'd go with Avatar for the cab. The price is right and they are supposedly great cabs.

Is it a VTM60 or VTM120?
    "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

I'm just looking at the ones on ebay, which are only the 60s at the moment. The 60 would be a lot easier to open up at home, and is plenty for any live stuff I would be doing.

Comment

Like a JCM800 you'll probably need an OD pedal to slam the preamp for hard metal gain. Peavey, Carvin or Randall cabs are pretty nice and cheap, and I've heard Avatars are cool for the money too.
        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I had a VTM120 - more gain than my JCM800s had... they sound great, but are single channel amps and also look kinda fugly. But they sure do sound good!

Pete

Comment

They made peavy cab with 80 or 85(i forget which one) watt celestions if you can find one-great amps for the price-

Comment

The VTM is very similar to the JCM800 circuit but it has an effects loop and more gain. The VTM also uses 6L6 power tubes. The VTM can be modded into a smoking amp and modded for EL34's.
              Jerry
              FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                They made peavy cab with 80 or 85(i forget which one) watt celestions if you can find one-great amps for the price-

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that would be the 412MS, w/G-12K 85s. Smokin' cab - sounds almost exactly like a Mesa recto cab with Mesa/Celestion 90s.
                Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

I'm pretty sold now. I don't know how I'd run my effects processor through a two amp setup. It would go effects loop for the VTM, since it would be mostly delays and stuff, but it would go in front of my Fender. So how I could I switch between guitar - fx box in- fx box out - fender amp input to guitar - vtm60 - fx box in loop? I don't know where I could fit a AB box, if that's even what I need, in there.

Comment

Working...
                  X