MXR Smartgate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MXR Smartgate

I'm currently playing a 5150II half stack with a MXR 10 band EQ in the effects loop. As you can imagine I have my hands full with background noise. I was thinking of buying the MXR smartgate? Anyone have any experience with this noise gate? Is there a more effective brand i'm over looking?

Re: MXR Smartgate

I've got a Smartgate, bought it a few months ago from another board member. Great pedal!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I also have the Boss NS2 which is a very good, comparable pedal. I like the Smartgate a little bit better, as it has a few more settings that the Boss doesn't... and I realized it also glows in the dark! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'm sure I'll be looking for a noise gate in the future so how does the MXR smart gate compare to the Rocktron Hush Super C? And what about the Rocktron Intellifex (has hush built in apparently)?

Any details would be appreciated.

Comment

Snow according to musiciansfriend.com the intellifex does have hush capability, but I think Rocktron stopped making them. The reviews I have read about the Hush Super C have been 50/50. Folks either love it or hate it. Apparently it has a problem shorting out and is difficult to get the settings you want.

Comment

The Hush in my Intellifex wasn't that good. They might have updated it in more recent models, but mine kinda killed the sustain and made it too processed sounding.

Comment

My friend uses the Smartgate in front of the 5150 and it works great. He tried it in the loop and didn't like it too much.

Comment

I've tried mine in front of the amp and in the loop... works fine both ways, but you just have to read the manual and mess with the controls to find which settings work best for either way.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
              X