Uberschall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uberschall

What does anybody know about this amp regarding the new gain in comparison to the old so far as tone etc? If you know what S/N or build date the change took place or any other pertinant information,(sp?),please share.

Re: Uberschall

They made a change in the Uberschall?

Comment

I think he means the gain taper? I had an older one where you needed to put the gain at 9 oclock max but now I think you can go to 12 oclock. Tons of gain and if you crank the master you can actually get a good sound at lower volumes(old gain taper).Great amps but I sold it for a fireball and a g-flex and still had money left over.I think they changed a little before fender raised Jacksons 15% whenever that was.

Comment

The new gain taper is what I'm referring to in fact. It sounds as if it is a simple modification to arrange the sweep in the gain to make it more usable. I THINK I have read that the gain overall is smoother but I can't be sure. I know somebody that had an,"old", one and he said it was chest pounding brutal but always seemed to have some hairy quality to it that would not go away no matter what....I'm curious as to whether that has been worked out with the ,"new", design. I've been considering checking one out but I KNOW the hair will be something I cannot deal with. My XTC has somewhat the same quality depending on settings however my XTC goes nowhere...I flat out love that amp, but I find myself constantly swapping/trying a second head geared toward more aggressive tones. And for anybody who may be considering an XTC, believe me they can get plenty aggressive but it's just not it's forte'. The XTC will nail anything on up to Megadeth however it will not do Metallica type tones.

Comment

There are 3 versions of the Uber. Yes, the gain taper was the firrst change (Mark II Uber). Not certain, but I believe this change was made right around when they started using the leather handle. No, I do not know what serial sign the new gain tapers start with. It makes the sweep range of the gain pot more usable for lower gain tones. That is to say, the orig pot would be full on gain quickly, this one has more of a sweep to it. This is the head I have (Mark II). The Mark III Uber (out now) has a send pot for the FX loop, blue power LED instead of the green jewel lamp and test points thru chassis to measure power tube bias.

FWIW, I had an XTC also and sold it for the reasons you mentioned. It was an awesome head and I loved it, particularly the blue channel with boost on. But I also wanted some more brutal tones. I sold mine to get the Uber. Then I got a Splawn mod plexi for the Marshall tones I needed. IMO, the Splawn is better (for me) than the XTC was for those tones.

Comment

Working...
          X