Thoughts on Peavey amps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thoughts on Peavey amps?

The XXL is hands-down, the best SS amp ever.

Comment

I own an XXX and recently got a JSX and they own big-time....they are cheaper than Marshalls and Mesas and sound just as good if not better not to mention are extremely versatile.

Comment

I have owned the 5150 combo, great amp, i have owned the 5150 head and i now currently own the 5150II head and i also own a XXX. I love both amps for different reasons just like i love my dual rec for different reasons.

Noodles and other XXX users, are you using EL34s? or 6L6's. Right now i am using the 6L6's but thinking of tryin the EL34's

My current line up of amps.
        Mesa Boogie Dual Rec
        Mesa Boogie Roadking Head (selling)
        Marshall 6100 Blue tolex
        Peavey 5150II which i just bought on closeout
        Peavey XXX.

Comment

I'm using 6L6's. I am not a fan of EL34's at all, they just don't have that cut and definition that I'm looking for IMHO. I played through a XXX once with EL34's, and to me it sounded more Marshall-like. The thing I love about the amp out of the box is it doesn't sound quite like anything else. I've also played a DualRec with EL34's, and it was the same deal; sounded more Marshall-like.

I'd be interested to hear from people who have changed out the tubes in this amp. I'm trying to figure out exactly what about the amp I'd like to fix, so I know what kind of tubes to get. I know I'd like to go with some power tubes that will give me more presence out of the clean channel, since it seems a little flat to me. I'd also like something to get rid of some of the fizziness on the ultra channel, but without adversely changing the crunch channel, which I really love for solo work.

Comment

Peavey=Playskool

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Peavey=Playskool

[/ QUOTE ]

Eddie is that you??

Comment

The first real tube amp I ever bought was a Peavey Butcher and two 4x12 cabinets in 1986. Its basically an early 70s Marshall lead 100, except it uses 6L6GCs and is 120 watts. I still have the amp and it is night and day different from the Laney AOR 50 head I use.
                The Butcher is one kick ass no-frills amp. Pete Wilkinson of L.A. uses them to the exclusion of everything else.

My remaining Peavey 4x12 cabinet (only have one of the original two after all of these years) is old enough to not have the Scheffields in it (it is equiped with true Celestians).

Comment

I've had a Peavey Ultra Plus for 5 or 6 years now. I still need to get it biased, but for the money I spent on it, with good tubes, its hard to beat. I use the Ultra channel for rythymn, and recently started using the Crunch+boost for lead work. The clean is ok, not great, but not horrible either. I did get a chance to play a JSX, and that thing really smokes. I'd love to get a chance to play it in a live setting.

I do think Peavey's are good for the money. Sure, some people rag on them, but most of their stuff are workhorses that plain just don't quit, and sound good without costing you a fortune.

Comment

I owned a Peavey back in the day BEFORE it was cool to own one. After the 5150, I remember people didnt snicker when you said you played a Peavey.
                    I bought mine because it had a cool name and stood more than 6 foot tall. I never even turned it on before I bought it. I figured it had to sound good. And, it was a little over $1800.00 in 1986 (a lot then for a 20 year old guitar player to spend on an amp).

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I'm using 6L6's. I am not a fan of EL34's at all, they just don't have that cut and definition that I'm looking for IMHO. I played through a XXX once with EL34's, and to me it sounded more Marshall-like. The thing I love about the amp out of the box is it doesn't sound quite like anything else. I've also played a DualRec with EL34's, and it was the same deal; sounded more Marshall-like.

I'd be interested to hear from people who have changed out the tubes in this amp. I'm trying to figure out exactly what about the amp I'd like to fix, so I know what kind of tubes to get. I know I'd like to go with some power tubes that will give me more presence out of the clean channel, since it seems a little flat to me. I'd also like something to get rid of some of the fizziness on the ultra channel, but without adversely changing the crunch channel, which I really love for solo work.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to like a more hot-rodded Marshall type tone rather than Mesa so I stuck with the E34L's in my XXX. In it's stock form, it's an *good* amp.....with some tube changes it can be a *great* amp. I took out the stock 6L6s which were not that great. The EH's are good pre-amps but for the XXX I prefer something a bit darker and smoother...the JJs worked great. I put an ECC83S(not high gain) in all pre-amp positions except for V2 which I put an ECC832 to tame the gain. E34Ls went into the power section. The amp admittedly didn't sound as good at lower volumes but at higher volumes it was smoother, punchier, and less buzzy/harsh sounding.

The JSX on the other hand is a little more refined sounding to begin with seems like so I might just keep the stock tubes in there. I don't have any plans to try the 6L6s in it but maybe down the line.

Comment

Here is me and the amp in '87. My face in the picture is blocked out due to the bad '80s mullet so someone I know wont use it to blackmail me [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

</img>

Comment

What was the MAP for the 5150 combo while in production? And how much did MF blow them out for? I know the heads went for $749 and didn't last long. I'm trying to get an idea what to pay for one.

Any input, opinions, etc. from current or previous owners of the 5150 combo would be cool. Siggy, you mentioned you had one. I've heard it doesn't really have a "clear" clean channel, is that true or does it just take some tweaking.
                          Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

I have a 5150 full stack and a 5150 combo, but I couldn't help you with the clean channel since I never use it. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                            I do like both of them, just make sure you use a BBE with it.

I've had the head since '92 or '93 and i think it was around $900 back then. I got it from Sam Ash.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              What was the MAP for the 5150 combo while in production? And how much did MF blow them out for? I know the heads went for $749 and didn't last long. I'm trying to get an idea what to pay for one.

Any input, opinions, etc. from current or previous owners of the 5150 combo would be cool. Siggy, you mentioned you had one. I've heard it doesn't really have a "clear" clean channel, is that true or does it just take some tweaking.

[/ QUOTE ]

The used ones have gone up in price lately although I still think you can snag one for around $500 if you look hard.

As for the cleans here's a clip someone else had made:

http://www.satori-band.com/rx7/5150clean.mp3

As you can tell it's not crystal but it gets the job done, however, with a lower gain pre-amp tube you might be able to make it "cleaner" and I know you can get the job done with a mod.

Comment

I had a Bandit 112 (pre transtube) and it was awesome. Great tone and flexibility (sp?). Anyhow, I had to sell it due to finacial trouble. I bought a Peavey Audition 110 not too long ago, and it has pretty decent tone. It's a practice amp, it's OK.

Comment

Working...
                                X