Thoughts on Peavey amps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thoughts on Peavey amps?

I played a jsx at the store I teach at recently, and I kinda liked it. The tech there mods pedals and let me play one of his modded ts-10s into the head. I thought it sounded pretty good.
    Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

If you can dial in your sound on a Classic 30, it can be a great sounding amp. I had a friend tell me it could be a great small metal amp. I didn't believe him at all. Then he played me this clip from a shredder in town and I couldn't believe it. Sounded awesome. His technique had something to do with it I'm sure, but still. However, I've found it to be a better blues and rock amp than metal (even with pedals added).

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        [ QUOTE ]
        What was the MAP for the 5150 combo while in production? And how much did MF blow them out for? I know the heads went for $749 and didn't last long. I'm trying to get an idea what to pay for one.

Any input, opinions, etc. from current or previous owners of the 5150 combo would be cool. Siggy, you mentioned you had one. I've heard it doesn't really have a "clear" clean channel, is that true or does it just take some tweaking.

[/ QUOTE ]

The used ones have gone up in price lately although I still think you can snag one for around $500 if you look hard.

As for the cleans here's a clip someone else had made:

http://www.satori-band.com/rx7/5150clean.mp3

As you can tell it's not crystal but it gets the job done, however, with a lower gain pre-amp tube you might be able to make it "cleaner" and I know you can get the job done with a mod.

[/ QUOTE ]

The clean wasnt bad, but just didnt have the headroom of the regular 5150, and if you want a even better clean go for the 5150-II. The combo was good for a practice amp or recording amp, however it was so damn heavy to be hauling around all the time! I much prefer the heads with either a 2x12 or 4x12. I also wasnt much for the speakers, they are close too a celestion 75 watter. Actually ED in his 5150 cabs would use celestion 75 watters, i guess he didnt care for the peavey speakers either.

Comment

Working...
        X